Battery DEAD, DEAD !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What do the vans use for a battery tray? They run a bigger battery. I wouldn't expect it to be a bolt in, but maybe some trimming and welding the two trays together would get something workable that looked mostly factory. I'm not sure why they have the bigger battery. My 454 starts just fine with a group 78 in the winter.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe ok from here?

This (Odyssey ODX-AGM34/78) is the exact battery I use in both of my '97s. Only replaced one so far, it was about eight years old and still started the truck. Just read low on my load tester.

I switched to the Odysseys after having some really bad luck with Optima Yellow Tops.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I switched to the Odysseys after having some really bad luck with Optima Yellow Tops.
I picked one up last year after hearing good reviews here and other places...but just the pc1500 side post version

:(

Wasn't til recently I even considered needing other options like top posts too...dang that would be nice....
.... and it's actually cheaper after shipping than getting it from the auto parts store where, to echo HotWheelsBurban, the only one they had was already a year old and slightly undercharged.12.4 iirc... But they said it would be ok and the 5 year warranty started when I got it... Impulse buy since mine was needing replacement, didn't know much about batteries and low charge then and I had already set my mind on getting a good battery for a change...
Will be interesting to see how it holds up...
What's this load tester?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's this load tester?

Mine is similar to this one (and also came from Harbor Freight) but I bought it years ago and they were cheaper at the time...

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-...ile-battery-and-system-load-tester-58933.html

You make sure the battery is fully charged, then hook this up to it and apply a load of half the rated CCA of the battery for 5-10 seconds. If the voltage reading drops into the red during the test, the battery needs replacement.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hammer the lip on the end of your battery tray flat and trim the lip on the battery and a 65 series fits just fine. I have one in WCJr and one in my son's truck.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• 20220805_083601.resized.jpg
    20220805_083601.resized.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure the battery is fully charged, then hook this up to it and apply a load of half the rated CCA of the battery for 5-10 seconds. If the voltage reading drops into the red during the test, the battery needs replacement.
According to industry-standard procedures, and the '97 C/K service manual:
1. 1/2 of CCA for fifteen seconds.
2. Voltage at the end of the test is dependent on the temperature of the battery. Cold batteries result in lower voltage.

C. SOMETIMES "defective" batteries can be brought back to serviceable condition with any one or a combination of "tricks", including slow-charging for a day or two, "shocking" the battery with high voltage, high current on a heavy-duty or even 24-volt charger, (some folks use a welding power source) dumping out the old electrolyte and installing fresh, buying a "special" battery charger that plays Van Halen through the battery terminals until the battery submits, etc.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
According to industry-standard procedures, and the '97 C/K service manual:
1. 1/2 of CCA for fifteen seconds.
2. Voltage at the end of the test is dependent on the temperature of the battery. Cold batteries result in lower voltage.

C. SOMETIMES "defective" batteries can be brought back to serviceable condition with any one or a combination of "tricks", including slow-charging for a day or two, "shocking" the battery with high voltage, high current on a heavy-duty or even 24-volt charger, (some folks use a welding power source) dumping out the old electrolyte and installing fresh, buying a "special" battery charger that plays Van Halen through the battery terminals until the battery submits, etc.
C'mon.. everyone knows it's Van Hagar you gotta play to get a rogue battery to submit. Same song, over and over and over. Ya know, like how the radio does. Until you both want to croak.

Richard