Battery DEAD, DEAD !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How I have resolved the dead dead dead issue in the past:
You must be registered for see images attach

All you need is one not dead dead dead battery and a trickle charger. After about an hour the dead dead dead one should be able to be recognized by the trickle charger without the helper. 4/4 batteries revived so far.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Group number just refers to a size that BCI battery committee international agreed upon.
There is no reason that you can't take tape measure , length, height, width. If you look around you will find the batteries come in all sizes and amp ratings. I always get the highest rating battery that will fit. Unless your after some unicorn special battery, you won't have to modify the battery tray.
The work smarter not harder applies.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But this is assuming there is no sulfation that has killed a cell?
Correct, this will only fix a battery that was in operable condition before it was drained to a nominal voltage. But all 4 of those were deemed 'defective' when tested at an auto parts store.

If it doesn't leak, carries 14.5v with an alternator charging, and can start my motor after sitting connected for 3 weeks, it's good enough for me.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ding , ding, ding!!! Battery terminal for the win! The negative side post had backed out ever so slightly. Tightened it and she cranked right up. Thanks guys and gals!
Same thing happened to me a few days ago. I pulled out on the pavement, went about 100 yards and it died, dead. Wth? Po had cut the side terminals off and the lead style didn't stay tight when I put it back together after hitting the deer.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But all 4 of those were deemed 'defective' when tested at an auto parts store.
Yeah I wish I knew what I know now years ago. For sure I've replaced batteries because I let them sit too long and just didn't know the mechanics behind them enough to fill or charge them right. The cost of them lately made learning about them suddenly an interest...

That Noco Genius is supposed to be able to shock the sulphated plates like Schurkey was mentioning and what some guy I know was telling me it was very good at.....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That Noco Genius is supposed to be able to shock the sulphated plates like Schurkey was mentioning and what some guy I know was telling me it was very good at.....

I've been looking at chargers lately too after some recent issues with my old Schumacher. I was thinking about getting the NOCO Genius10, but I did some poking around and remembered that Odyssey has a list of approved chargers for their batteries on the website.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/odyssey-approved-12V-chargers.pdf

Nothing from NOCO is on there, but there are a couple similar approved units from CTEK. The MUS 7002 is approved for batteries up to 70Ah, I'm thinking about trying it.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000FRLO9Y

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon.. everyone knows it's Van Hagar you gotta play to get a rogue battery to submit. Same song, over and over and over.
Nope, you have to play "Panama". There's no substitute.

Group number just refers to a size that BCI battery committee international agreed upon.
There is no reason that you can't take tape measure , length, height, width. If you look around you will find the batteries come in all sizes and amp ratings. I always get the highest rating battery that will fit. Unless your after some unicorn special battery, you won't have to modify the battery tray.
The work smarter not harder applies.
I modified my battery tray because Whamalart was selling their 1000 CA Group 65 battery for a single Benjamin. Sure, I could have gone through a catalog and found a battery with a high cranking amperage that fit, but the Group 65 is readily in stock, cheap.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon.. everyone knows it's Van Hagar you gotta play to get a rogue battery to submit. Same song, over and over and over.

Nope, you have to play "Panama". There's no substitute.
Or just go directly to Mr. Hagar hisself, with "I Can't Drive 55" (until my car starts.)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

(Note that our buddy Samster talks about a measly "125". Joe Walsh's Maserati "...does 185". But now he doesn't drive any more. Therefore, probably not a song suitable for reviving batteries. Other than that, Life's Been Good.)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I sometimes wonder how many folks with driver's licenses remember the days of Citizen Control via the National Mandated Speed Limit (NMSL) otherwise known as "55"; and the seemingly endless string of dirtbag politicians who either failed to repeal it, or actively went along with enforcing it. Presidents to law-breaking Highway Patrolmen with radar guns mounted two feet above the roof of their cruiser, and then parked in a ditch so the car was invisible leaving only the "radar periscope" to hunt for evil "speeders".

Talk about Policing-For-Profit! The only modern equivalent is automated traffic enforcement via short yellow lights and cameras taking photos of folks going through the "red" at intersections. The yellow light timing is illegal in fifty states, but they shorten it anyway because otherwise revenue drops. Automated speed enforcement is just as evil. Speed limits are deliberately set too low, to encourage folks to drive at a reasonable but illegal speed, and then they get nabbed by radar equipment set-up by private companies with the blessing of crooked Politicians.

The surest way to see if your politicians are warped and corrupt is to see if automated traffic enforcement is used in your area. If it is...they are.

Thanks, Newsom. You just signed a bill allowing more automated enforcement in Commiefornia.

Last edited: