Battery drain - cause?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all.
Battery on my recently acquired 1999 Suburban 5.7 goes flat after a week of sitting and hasn't enough juice to crank the motor into life. I don't know if the battery is good or not as yet but, there's reason to believe it is only a couple of years old and, there's a tickle of spark on connecting at the terminals.
Put a multimeter on it and its reading 0.26A which seems a bit high. It equates (at 12V) to 3Watts.
Pulled the fuses one by one and it never moved. Strangely, it didn't make any difference door open or closed and with the door open, the dome lights didn't come on. I'd disconnected the engine bay lamp.

Is there a known cause for this? Or is 0.26A static draw OK and my battery is goosed? Where do I look next for a drain if that is the case? TIA.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all.
Battery on my recently acquired 1999 Suburban 5.7 goes flat after a week of sitting and hasn't enough juice to crank the motor into life. I don't know if the battery is good or not as yet but, there's reason to believe it is only a couple of years old and, there's a tickle of spark on connecting at the terminals.
Put a multimeter on it and its reading 0.26A which seems a bit high. It equates (at 12V) to 3Watts.
Pulled the fuses one by one and it never moved. Strangely, it didn't make any difference door open or closed and with the door open, the dome lights didn't come on. I'd disconnected the engine bay lamp.

Is there a known cause for this? Or is 0.26A static draw OK and my battery is goosed? Where do I look next for a drain if that is the case? TIA.
Did you pull interior and engine bay fuses? Typical places I've heard of would be hidden interior lights such as glove box, vanity mirror, etc. Should be able to see it when you pull the fuse though. .26A is pretty high, should be less than .02 IIRC

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you pull interior and engine bay fuses? Typical places I've heard of would be hidden interior lights such as glove box, vanity mirror, etc. Should be able to see it when you pull the fuse though. .26A is pretty high, should be less than .02 IIRC

I pulled the connector off of the engine bay light and waited with the doors all closed in case the delay timer affected anything.
Presumably the multimeter stopped the interior lights coming on with the door open - they work normally otherwise.
I pulled all the fuses one by one so if there's an interior light one - I covered it.

Just wondered if these trucks have a known leak path that develops to cause this. And, as you say, 0.26A is pretty high. Ignition key was removed during all of this so nothing on the accessory or ignition circuits enabled.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled the connector off of the engine bay light and waited with the doors all closed in case the delay timer affected anything.
Presumably the multimeter stopped the interior lights coming on with the door open - they work normally otherwise.
I pulled all the fuses one by one so if there's an interior light one - I covered it.

Just wondered if these trucks have a known leak path that develops to cause this. And, as you say, 0.26A is pretty high. Ignition key was removed during all of this so nothing on the accessory or ignition circuits enabled.
If the door is closed, how are you pulling the interior fuses?

Reaction score
Hello all.

Hello all.

I have a 98 Tahoe 5.7 and my static draw is 0.12a, I had starting issues with a battery that was 2yrs old that wouldn’t crank after 6 hours parked. I checked for draw and nothing so I replaced with an optima red top and haven’t had any issues in a month. Old Battery tested good at advance and still reading 12.6v 2 weeks later on a multimeter, I was told if a battery discharged completely too many times that it could still read 12v and not be able to crank.

Reaction score
Hello all.

When you’re using the multimeter you are disconnecting the positive and putting the multimeter between the battery and cable correct?