14-18 Rear Bumper Swap (No Welding)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great job, looks clean. You'll get a lot of questions regarding the bumper when you're out. It's what I get asked the most about on my truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I know this is almost 3 yrs old but i’d like to know what modifications were done for the hitch if any

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea; I would imagine the lowered trucks would need something like that. Im hoping to get rear bumper here soon. ive got a few feelers out from some chop shop old crackhead buddies of mine lol

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question - Can or would your insurance policy be voided with this type of modification after an accident?
I was just reading through the past few days' posts. Some or most states have laws governing minimum/maximum headlight and bumper requirements/heights. Years ago (in the late 60s, I was 16), when I lived in WI, I wanted to register my go cart so I could drive it on the street. Aside from those requirements, Wisconsin required a windshield wiper but, didn't require a windshield :rolleyes:

I'm sure some of the statutes have been updated since but... YMMV

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completed the install. Wasn't a complicated as I thought. One issue I had was centering the bumper and to correct it I used steel gas pipe for spacers and cut 2 at1.5 inchs long for the passenger side and 2 at 2.25 inches long for the driver side . The bumper barely cleared the class 3 receiver so I will need to lower it at least 1 inch. Had to leave the old bumper brackets on the truck as it helps support the class 3 receiver. One thing I did not think about was the original license plate light harness won't work. the bulb socket will not go in all the way with a bulb in place plus it is almost too short. I don't think the old lenses will work and that step area is wider and not much light will reach the licene plate. Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4354(1).jpg
    IMG_4354(1).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 37

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completed the install. Wasn't a complicated as I thought. One issue I had was centering the bumper and to correct it I used steel gas pipe for spacers and cut 2 at1.5 inchs long for the passenger side and 2 at 2.25 inches long for the driver side . The bumper barely cleared the class 3 receiver so I will need to lower it at least 1 inch. Had to leave the old bumper brackets on the truck as it helps support the class 3 receiver. One thing I did not think about was the original license plate light harness won't work. the bulb socket will not go in all the way with a bulb in place plus it is almost too short. I don't think the old lenses will work and that step area is wider and not much light will reach the licene plate. Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.
Get the correct housings for the new bumper and splice wire. That's what I did. If you don't want LED bulbs in that location, you can probably figure out how to put incandescent wedge bulbs in there.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question. Havent seen any locLly at chop shops, junkyards, etc. i do see flea bay has a few new... any of u ever bought / have any validity for these

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question. Havent seen any locLly at chop shops, junkyards, etc. i do see flea bay has a few new... any of u ever bought / have any validity for these

That's what mine is, but black not chrome. I don't have a stock one to compare it to, but I'm satisfied with what it is.

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update. I was able to use my old license plate lights in. The new lenses are held in place with 1 screw. Just made the opening in the new bumper a little larger. The old harness worked but a little tight. This should work till I can find one at a P&P.