Remove rear bumper help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayboney

Reaction score
Ok so I know this seems like I stupid question but is there a trick to getting the rear bumper off have a 2 door Tahoe? There is no way for me to get a wrench on the nuts on the inside of the frame. Problem is the gas tank sits in between the frame rails and blocks off access coming in from the front. Also I can't drop the hitch because of the same reason.

Attachments

• 20240222_135245.jpg
    20240222_135245.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240222_135304.jpg
    20240222_135304.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 8

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like some is readily accessible. Drop the tank if that's what you need to do. Some trucks, I somewhat recall needed the bodies lifted to slide the bumpers w/brackets out, if you didn't want to unbolt everything. Proper tools help you sneak in there so to speak.

Last edited:

Jayboney

Reaction score
Drop the tank if that's what you need to do.
I was hoping not to have to! Also you mentioned proper tools? Like a 18mm wrench that was 2 inch long to sneak in that tiny gap? Any specific suggestions? I'm just curious not, trying to be a wise guy.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drop thr tank, it's all right there. Just a general statement when properly equipped, mid-length sockets, different attachments, combinations of tools, etc. can help get stuff done with less tear down.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to really look at it, and imagine from all angles. Bottom looking up is easy. How much room above the frame , can I get a long box wrench in there? There's a hole in the bottom angle, if I slip a wrench in , drop small end out the hole , then grab the nut on the inside? Oh , take tailgate off I can squeeze in from top gap?
Or , if I drop the , tank, muffler, tailpipe, whatever , an inch or two, I can get it. Longer wrenches, fingers that bend backwards, with one eye closed, small kids hands with gorilla strengths.
Yeah , you try to avoid the " off n on " parts to get your goal completed, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Look at what ya got work with , and how can , from all angles, views , can I accomplish this.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Jayboney

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys I will take another stab at it tomorrow. I hoped I was just missing something. But it looks like it's gonna have to be the hard way...wish me luck.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to really look at it, and imagine from all angles. Bottom looking up is easy. How much room above the frame , can I get a long box wrench in there? There's a hole in the bottom angle, if I slip a wrench in , drop small end out the hole , then grab the nut on the inside? Oh , take tailgate off I can squeeze in from top gap?
Or , if I drop the , tank, muffler, tailpipe, whatever , an inch or two, I can get it. Longer wrenches, fingers that bend backwards, with one eye closed, small kids hands with gorilla strengths.
Yeah , you try to avoid the " off n on " parts to get your goal completed, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Look at what ya got work with , and how can , from all angles, views , can I accomplish this.
offset box wrenches etc, list goes on but same thought process.