Trying to pop out rear lower quarter indent 99 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there’s a access way to get into and to the back side of the rear lower quarter sheet metal, with a tool or hands to reach down and either hand press or use a pdr rod “ paint less , dent removal tools”.
I feel like with a little bit of heat from a heat gun. I could press this out at least better only real dent on the truck when I bought it. but from underneath the truck, the inner panel doesn’t allow you access right to the outer . I thought maybe there’s a cavity inside the cargo area if I took the plastic trim out of the back maybe but I would only do that if somebody knows for sure if I can get down into it. I need access to the outer skin from the inside.

Indent below
You must be registered for see images attach

Ignore the dirt there all around me .The only thing I could think of is to cut an access panel from the inside skin, as I’ve marked in the X in the photo but then that’s stupid... I feel like because I’m exposing good Sheet metal there are rubber plugs, but not at the right angle to get a tool in there.

The goal is to press it out to an acceptable point and then maybe PDR the rest of it. I don’t wanna mess up the paint or pull it from the outside with a stud weld puller tool .. I think it would pop back with heat and some type of pressure from the inside pushing or outside pulling .. it might end up with a slight crease towards the bumper, hard to tell but I can work with that later.

I’ve seen these. I don’t know how well they work. They make an air dent puller of coarse harbor freight tools and a pdr set . Anyone think I’d have a luck on either with this dent?

Last edited:

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll give a ton of credit to someone with a skill set enough to do collision and paint …not everybody can do it …but I’m not even gonna start layin in on the collision shops and the astronomical cost quotes to do the most littlest bit of work in comparison to a huge job …on this post because probably a lot of guys do this for a living that are going to comment. i’m just wondering from the expert opinion what would or should a shop or a guy that does this on the side charge for this one single area just to pull it out get it 90% normal even…So I have a legit true honest idea before I go getting quotes. keep in mind know this is not insurance claim money that people can fudge the numbers and afford to pay tri-fold . This is the kind of situation for me more like “”hey Bob on a Saturday what would you charge me to pull this in your garage since you’ve done this kind of work for 20 years and pop this dent out by any means necessary, but properly “. i’ve saved a little bit of money this last month on a couple paychecks and I don’t have a lot but what would you charge?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want Bob on Saturday night prices then you’ll get Bob on Saturday night quality. That isn’t a 45 minute job to get that back to near-perfect status.

Yes prices can seem high at times for PDR or body work in general but they have overhead and materials. They have to eat too. PDR and body work talent is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want Bob on Saturday night prices then you’ll get Bob on Saturday night quality. That isn’t a 45 minute job to get that back to near-perfect status.

Yes prices can seem high at times for PDR or body work in general but they have overhead and materials. They have to eat too. PDR and body work talent is one of those things where you get what you pay for.
I never said it was 45min bro Cmon.. No fn duh and to elaborate and stick up for the PDR body shop guys I mean awesome it’s not the workers fault it’s the industry. Trust me I get the facts of the matter. I also know what it looks like from the opposite end of my gripe. It’s just a meaningless rant …I know what collision work is worth. I do auto paint restoration for the last 20 yrs wet sand wheel the whole bit.. it’s just an aggravation proving shops taking insurance job quotes vs pocket money every shop sets the basis off the fact that 90% of the payment / income comes from insurance companies so they are gonna care less if Little guy off the street with pocket money comes in for the same work load they get for Insurance claims …anyone would agree coming from the general population more so due to Covid hikes inflation and everything else that suck a** in the economy .
No need too try and embarrass me and talk to me like Im ignorant / you surely go through life with gripe’s too probably b**** and complain along the way when you’re out spending money in the big world and it don’t add up.
You’re gonna stick up for the economy a conformist? Lmao . Bro it’s ok to agree things are wayyyyyy over priced in 2024 and I’m not saying it’s workers faults , they do Not set the rate bosses set the standard , corporations, set it . I never blamed the man with the talent for the price point . It’s the bigger guys the higher ups

Although back to the q&a at hand, did you have a recommendation on what this would cost or should based on my evidence shown, or how I could find my way into the cavity to work on it and press or pull it out
Thank

Last edited:

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I never said it was 45min bro Cmon.. No fn duh and to elaborate and stick up for the PDR body shop guys I mean awesome it’s not the workers fault it’s the industry. Trust me I get the facts of the matter. I also know what it looks like from the opposite end of my gripe. It’s just a meaningless rant …I know what collision work is worth. I do auto paint restoration for the last 20 yrs wet sand wheel the whole bit.. it’s just an aggravation proving shops taking insurance job quotes vs pocket money every shop sets the basis off the fact that 90% of the payment / income comes from insurance companies so they are gonna care less if Little guy off the street with pocket money comes in for the same work load they get for Insurance claims …anyone would agree coming from the general population more so due to Covid hikes inflation and everything else that suck a** in the economy .
No need too try and embarrass me and talk to me like Im ignorant / you surely go through life with gripe’s too probably b**** and complain along the way when you’re out spending money in the big world and it don’t add up.
You’re gonna stick up for the economy a conformist? Lmao . Bro it’s ok to agree things are wayyyyyy over priced in 2024 and I’m not saying it’s workers faults , they do Not set the rate bosses set the standard , corporations, set it . I never blamed the man with the talent for the price point . It’s the bigger guys the higher ups

Although back to the q&a at hand, did you have a recommendation on what this would cost or should based on my evidence shown, or how I could find my way into the cavity to work on it and press or pull it out
Thank
Wow! I don’t think @fancyTBI s response was that off. IF I want quality work done to my standards, I’m going to have to pay for it. Pulling that dent without ruining the paint and getting it 90% requires a skill set that I don’t have. I did a similar job myself on a previous truck and it just looked OK. I was able to bang out, sand, bondo, resand, and spray the whole area for my cost and time. Great paint less dent pullers are magicians in my opinion and are worth every penny they charge.

Ask around who the best in your area is and pay their price. At least you’ll know you got what you paid for. If they’re honest, they’ll even guarantee results. I’ve paid for body work only to have it redone by the shop upon receipt because it didn’t meet MY standard. That’s happened twice and both times I was obliged. There’s tons of body shops, but they’re not all great ones.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank
Calm down Susan...he was offering advice, which you asked for. If you took his response as something other than helpful fine, but he wasn't trying to embarrass you. You did a fine job of that yourself...

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Calm down Susan...he was offering advice, which you asked for. If you took his response as something other than helpful fine, but he wasn't trying to embarrass you. You did a fine job of that yourself...

Calm down Susan...he was offering advice, which you asked for. If you took his response as something other than helpful fine, but he wasn't trying to embarrass you. You did a fine

You like to talk for other men ? Sus? ass kisser