What can I use to wipe away (( Dried rattle can paint )) off rubber trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I trialed the acetone and it’s doing the job good call for the advice.. wasnt sure if acetone would hurt the rubber trim .. I had heard wd40 was another method .
It’s gonna be a long task but I’ll get at it soon now that I know
You must be registered for see images attach

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't grind away with the scotch brite, just lightly scuff the surface. Can use it with a bucket of water, with a little Dawn dish soap if you wanted. Scuff and clean.

It'll hold onto the rubber as good as that paint seems to be doing.

No, its not a full strip and recondition, but I know how many hours that can lead to, acetone whatever soaking into your skin, or a glove change every 10 min. Then you still have rubber that's a mess, with most of the porosity, and small cracks clogged with old paint anyhow.

Its never going to be 100% like new factory, just thought Id offer a solution that would save you time, health, and possible aggravation.
I appreciate that option good advice ... I’m probably gonna try the sem anyways when it’s all said and done…if it’s all the better the whole thing could use a touch up … the acetone was an idea I mean it does remove it … I just got a few cotton balls and it came off rather fast and in abundance.
But I’ll deicide if I wanna further that route or go with the prep and sem tomorrow

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always try to get acetone on the paint only, give it a second to cook, and as I'm wiping it off I'm wiping it into a dry part of the rag so there isn't actually much acetone to rubber contact. You can probably get away with little to no visible damage that route.

The taillights didn't like the acetone bath too good but when I'm working on my own rig it's way too much work to take my own advice and I was hitting them hard with the sauce.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always try to get acetone on the paint only, give it a second to cook, and as I'm wiping it off I'm wiping it into a dry part of the rag so there isn't actually much acetone to rubber contact. You can probably get away with little to no visible damage that route.

The taillights didn't like the acetone bath too good but when I'm working on my own rig it's way too much work to take my own advice and I was hitting them hard with the sauce.
I’ll be taking my tail lights off when close to that area.. I feel like aftermarket’s have a light clear coat over the Lenses ((maybe)) don’t know .. and that could be a disaster if it got some drops on the new tail lenses

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll be taking my tail lights off when close to that area.. I feel like aftermarket’s have a light clear coat over the Lenses ((maybe)) don’t know .. and that could be a disaster if it got some drops on the new tail lenses
I’m gonna hand myself a life time achievement award .. perhaps if I can accomplish the most important thing and one of the last things this suv needs which is an entire new paint job
It seem so far off and away from reality ((Money $$$)) wise … I was quoted 7k for a re- spray I said wtf I paid 1/3 of that for the whole suburban. Is what it is all a slow process and $$ on to of $$. I know a few retired painter's who do it still on the side . I think I can get a good re-spray for 3000$ Good enough for me that is .