Totally lost noob with silly question, but I've been reading everything I can find with no avail...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that cutting a hole in the body structure , I'd have to check the body inspection binder, is a very bad idea.
Why would that be an ok thing to do. Just stupid and lazy.
One more thing to check for before paying for another Tahoe or Yukon. :3811797817_8d685371
Guilty smh

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beat me to it.

I think he's considering it a "light" 2500 because it has the semifloating rear end. Many early 8 lug 2500's got the 9.5" 14 bolt SF. Seems like the change to them coming with the full floater was around 95 or possibly 96; we've discussed it here in the past and I can't recall the specific year.

But Caman96 is correct: the "light duty" 2500 is a 6 lug truck with a 7200lb GVWR, is essentially a 1500 with minor upgrades. Robsquatch your 8 lug 2500 is a "real" 2500 with likely an 8600lb GVWR.. If you saw the original window sticker for it, it would be referrred to as "heavy duty"

Richard
My buddy has a 97 2500 with the SF.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy has a 97 2500 with the SF.
Sure, I don't doubt it. There's been a little bit of discussion about 'em here and there but it seems overall the earlier 8 lug 2500 trucks typically got the SF, later (Vortec) got the FF. This follows with most of the ones I've seen, and owned (parts trucks) but certainly doesn't encompass every single one ever sold. ;)

The real question is, "why" would one come one way or the other.. if it was solely about power handling capability, all the Vortec stuff would get the FF only, instead of "most of it"

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, I don't doubt it. There's been a little bit of discussion about 'em here and there but it seems overall the earlier 8 lug 2500 trucks typically got the SF, later (Vortec) got the FF. This follows with most of the ones I've seen, and owned (parts trucks) but certainly doesn't encompass every single one ever sold. ;)

The real question is, "why" would one come one way or the other.. if it was solely about power handling capability, all the Vortec stuff would get the FF only, instead of "most of it"

Richard

If it were merely power handling, the 1/2 ton trucks, SUVs and vans would have had them too. The 1/2 ton 350s had more power on paper and more torque multiplication with the 4L60Es 3.06 1st gear.

Jackaru

Reaction score
A LD 2500 has 6 lug and a 14b 9.5 semi-float. Are you sure it’s a LD 2500?
Definitely not the subject , but for quite a long time in the 80's, 90s and probably 2ks, standard 2500s used a semi-floating rear end, whether a 12 bolt or 14 bolt with 8 lug hubs. Full floater 14 bolts are only on HD model 2500s and early tons until the 11" AAC, now on 3500, 2500HD diesel and big block gas.

Jackaru

Reaction score
A lot of good advice! Obviously ignore ones that say you can't fix it. That's why people are on forums. People can't afford to take every problem to a shop. With a little help, we problem solve ourselves.
Firstly I agree. Properly fix every known issue first so your not chasing ghosts. Bad oil leaks mean un regulated crank case pressure. I don't know what advances your timing (my 96 is totally computer controlled) but it used to be vacuum. Even if computer controller, the computer measures all these parameters so fix all issues. After all is fixed, my read is this. Lack of fuel pressure will give you the lack of power. Check it. Don't think it will give you black smoke and knocking, but lack of timing advance will give you all of those. Check that too. If everything is good and it appears to be possessed, check the lift at your valve train.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not the subject , but for quite a long time in the 80's, 90s and probably 2ks, standard 2500s used a semi-floating rear end, whether a 12 bolt or 14 bolt with 8 lug hubs. Full floater 14 bolts are only on HD model 2500s and early tons until the 11" AAC, now on 3500, 2500HD diesel and big block gas.
Definitely IS the subject! Light Duty 7200 lb. GVWR 2500 400’s came with 14b 9.5 and SIX LUG axles. Also, 1500’s with F44 RPO also came with 14b 9.5 6 lug axles.
How do I know? I owned one, my buddy owns one and plenty of forum members own them.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The final word. Open the OE service manual, it's right there in black and white. Arguing with that just makes you a crazy person.