Cranks but no spark leaving coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bertha1996

Reaction score
I have read just about all of the posts and followed there steps and nothing has worked.
I just rebuilt my stock 350 Motor from a 1996 Chevy k1500 with a manual transmission and when I reinstalled the motor and attached all of my electrical back up but now I have no spark coming out of the ignition coil I have tested the connector for power and 1 pin has 12 volts and the ICM has power too but When I crank the motor it turns but there is no spark and the crank position sensor gives no feed back with a scanner hooked up
I have replaced the ignition coil and the ICM still no spark and I’ve been checking what I think is all of my ground cables unless I’m missing one I can’t seem to find anything that would cause no spark like that and cause the crank position sensor to not read either any help would be appreciated because I’ve been at this for 3 days and have gotten nowhere

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried the diagnostic in the service manual for " cranks but no spark condition" ? It will lead you through what to check.

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
Especially since you have no activity from the crank sensor. I too long ago have forgotten the reluctor wheel and spent quite a few hours retracing my steps. Finally found it after I pulled the crank sensor and seen there was nothing for the sensor to read

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the CKP is *the* sensor that your computer relies
completely upon in order to know if the engine is actually turning over.
Everything is based off of this all-important signal. (!)

The CKP signal tells the VCM where the crankshaft's physical rotational
position is. After reading all the other sensors, the VCM gonkulates the
optimum spark advance, and in turn sends the actual trigger signal down
to the ICM. And of course the ICM drives the coil, & out towards the
distributor cap, etc.

Therefore, let's make sure that the CKP sensor is installed properly, and
just as importantly, the wires to/from it are OK. And an easy check is
to make sure that your 20A ECM 1 fuse (in the Underhood Fuse Block)
isn't blown. Here's the CKP wiring diagram, taken from the P0336 DTC
troubleshooting flows:

You must be registered for see images attach

Bertha1996

Reaction score
Especially since you have no activity from the crank sensor. I too long ago have forgotten the reluctor wheel and spent quite a few hours retracing my steps. Finally found it after I pulled the crank sensor and seen there was nothing for the sensor to read
Holy **** thank you I completely forgot and I just found that in my garage I will reinstall that and hopefully she fires up

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to be of help man! I learned the hard way and it seems you have to. Hopefully someone who reads this in the future will gain some knowledge or something :cheers:

Sir, that was some nice Paying it Forward right there.

Sometimes the voice of hard-won experience can't be beat for the win.

:waytogo: