What can I use to wipe away (( Dried rattle can paint )) off rubber trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it’s no surprise my ((Cali) suburban needs an entire repaint..
yea it’s immaculate clean body wise and chassis Zero rust and no longer resides in the state since 2022

But at some point the previous owner to the individual I got it from I can only describe as ((Hooligan moron )) Must of been a younger person … I assume trashed the driver side front door and rear quarter in some type of back yard spray can venture .

They’re so stupid, They actually tried to spray can ((storm gray)) over
clear coat peel without any proper prep or sanding .. There are no dents no damage just peel from the heat… I mean, let’s get real.
So they left me with Perfectly fine quarter glass but trashed the rubber trim ((Surrounding)) the glass with rattle can silver/ gray paint
I’ve been picking my brain at what can I use to rub it away even if it lightens the rubber trim . I can use a trim restore down the line. I just want to get the paint off the rubber .
You must be registered for see images attach

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try a little acetone on a rag.
I know whatever I use is gonna lighten up the sheen of the rubber probably to a terribly dull finish smh
But I gotta do something … not changing out a whole perfectly fine quarter glass because of this

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not what you asked for, but..

Attachments

• SEM-Trim-Black-Paint-15-oz_sem-39143_L_25d985fa.jpg
    SEM-Trim-Black-Paint-15-oz_sem-39143_L_25d985fa.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3M-233-Masking-Tape.jpg
    3M-233-Masking-Tape.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Scotch-Brite™-Hand-Pad-7496-1.jpg
    Scotch-Brite™-Hand-Pad-7496-1.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 3

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the trim paint and tape , wasn’t aware it was wise to scotch brite what was or is under the paint a smooth semi glossed rubber trim. Won’t the scotch pad jack **** up

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That there sem trim , does that top coat or sort of soak into the porous off the rubber to an extent? How does it do long term with general car wash exposure to soaps pressure washing etc … does it keep its bite into the trim . I always thought that was more for plastics . Wasn’t aware there’s a method to recondition (rubber) trim

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
acetone, lacquer thinner, enamel reducer(my choice because it dries slower and doesn't attack the rubber as hard), alcohol, lighter fluid etc. Spray can crap has no chemical cure so not too bad to get off.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That there sem trim , does that top coat or sort of soak into the porous off the rubber to an extent? How does it do long term with general car wash exposure to soaps pressure washing etc … does it keep its bite into the trim . I always thought that was more for plastics . Wasn’t aware there’s a method to recondition (rubber) trim

You don't grind away with the scotch brite, just lightly scuff the surface. Can use it with a bucket of water, with a little Dawn dish soap if you wanted. Scuff and clean.

It'll hold onto the rubber as good as that paint seems to be doing.

No, its not a full strip and recondition, but I know how many hours that can lead to, acetone whatever soaking into your skin, or a glove change every 10 min. Then you still have rubber that's a mess, with most of the porosity, and small cracks clogged with old paint anyhow.

Its never going to be 100% like new factory, just thought Id offer a solution that would save you time, health, and possible aggravation.