JB Weld on accessory bolt studs in aluminum heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once filled a hole with JB weld metal putty and tapped that. LOL (Non-critical part)

I've also just red loctite the snot out of it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a small " square" to keep drill bit centered and perpendicular. Use new quality drill bit. You can drill slow, it's aluminum. Helicoil is an acceptable and preferred method.
The heads are a good choice, the decision not to use a better method for hardware attachment than bare aluminum could have been better.
There are high quality adhesives available, Hy-Sol , is one I've used. The last time was to attach " VG's " on turbine Beechcraft, 300 plus mph. That would be probably a permanent fix. Good luck.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought the accessory studs that are usually used 1 per head from GM and used them on all the acessory head bolt holes in my van. Saves wear and tear on the aluminum holes.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Timesert or helicoil. Hokey repairs tend to let loose when you're out in the middle of nowhere.
TImesert or helicoil then put the stud in that hole. Personally I would stud all the holes as I did.

Biggest shock I had with a Helicoil once was it held in place on a 3400 rocker arm bolt. Thought I was about to have to pull the head. Ended up helicoiling the bolt hole and the engine ran until the car was totaled.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought the accessory studs that are usually used 1 per head from GM and used them on all the acessory head bolt holes in my van. Saves wear and tear on the aluminum holes.
Yeah, if I was smart I would have replaced them before I tried to install the shortened bolts. But since I'm not I didn't have the thought until after. $5 and 15 minutes at a local boneyard and I got 6 new (to me, most definitely not new to the earth) ones. I'm keeping a set of spares for the L31 that's now on the stand that the 390 used to be on. I'm waiting to hear from AFR regarding how deep I can go with for some 9/16-12 helicoil inserts. I need 0.52" for the insert and a few hundredths more to allow for threads and the bit point. I didn't strip the bolt holes just felt the threads start to go and stopped. The studs still come in and go out with the 1/4" socket just fine so threaded all the way to the back. But the marginal one doesn't bite much when I try the bolt so not going to push it. I only took the others to 25 ft-lbs after experience with the first so they're still tight. I should have enough of the thread metal left for JB Weld to bite if I need to go that route based on how AFR responds. But based on the comparison video posted on Youtube the helicoils are clearly the way to go for a one and done solution.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the stud is holding now, would Loctite be enough to keep it in place, without being permanent?
I will also add that I have run the L31 brackets sans 1 bolt per side before. LT1 I swapped into a TBI truck with TBI on it. The bolt he has weakened is not a huge deal.