305 vortec heads and factory intake on old block??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97k1500305

Reaction score
Hello everyone so I have a 97 k1500 5.0 vortec. I was having some misfire issues a few months back and got it all fixed but the engine threw a rod.. I am wondering could I take a 305 from a 77 z28 and put my heads and factory vortec intake on it? Would everything bolt up fine from my vortec block? Or am I better off finding a vortec block? I’m just looking to put a cheap used engine back in my truck. I found that the old blocks are easier to come by than vortecs in my area.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should work, you'll need to swap over the knock sensor, oil filter adaptor, timing cover, reluctor, and crank sensor.
Be wary of the increased valve train noise coming from the flat tappet lifters. The knock sensor will retard the timing. As will the MAP sensor if the cam profile causes too much vacuum loss

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Be wary of the increased valve train noise coming from the flat tappet lifters. The knock sensor will retard the timing.
Why do you keep repeating this? It has zero basis in reality. Flat tappet 305s had knock sensors starting in the early 80s and all the TBI small block trucks with flat tappet cams had them too.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 77 z28 should be a 350. 87 would likely be a 305. If you are using a 77 2 piece rear seal block you need the flex plate with it. An 87 would be a 1 piece rear seal and you could use the one from your truck. You'll need the vortec timing cover, balancer and crank reluctor. Use a holley timing cover. If the 305 is or off an 87 Camaro it probably has a roller cam. If you can get it right go for it. Not a hard swap and will get you back on the road