305 in the 305..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I hear sourcing a running engine, I'm going to hear it running and check some stuff out before money changes hands. They're out there and so is lots of un-usable stuff. Frozen, overheated, etc. and sometimes it takes a bit of time to find the right one/deal. I tend to chase running ones. Out and sitting on the floor with accessories stripped off is a pass for me. The short story is that magnafluxing a block is subject to human error and much more involved than checking heads for cracked seats. been there with a bunch machine work in a bad block with a 2 year production spread I never could find another one for.
I tend to buy a running driving vehicle each time I need a substantial component such as as an engine or axle. Then I have another project truck to fix and I still need the item I was looking for! This way I have spare vehicles instead of just spare parts…

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Donor vehicle acquired! 89 2500 ext cab 6lug w a 350 tbi, 4speed tranny and bucket seats. Ran and drove well shifted good and (hard to believe) the ac was cold! Lots of other goodies i am gonna snag also. Will post a pic of the donor truck when i get a moment. Looks pretty rough so i am sure i will get some looks from the neighbors but idc! Whoohoo!

Last edited: