880 vortec blocks, what pistons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The TBI truck engines came with either 12 or 18 cc dish pistons. Maybe some TBI cars had 5cc flattops? IDK

But how about the Vortecs? Especially the 880 block? (maybe they all where 880's? IDK

What pistons could I expect to find in one of those?

Trying to buy one and the seller does not find a number on the pad... actually he cant even find the pad :rolleyes:... (its there I can clearly see it in one of his pictures)
I can also see that the pistons are dished... wich is fine, as long as they are not a HD low Compression version, if such a thing even exist in Vortec form.

It's been VERY frustrating trying to work with the seller to figure out what he is actually selling.:banghead: Common thing it seems in my part of the world...

Anyhow thought I would just put the question out here. I know that there are people here that knows stuff ;)

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ZZ3/ZZ4s had the lightweight Mahle L98/LT1 flat tops.
The pistons in this particular 880 block are dished. Are there several versions of dished pistons that came in theese blocks or just one?

Edit: Got this from the seller when asking for something totally different:suicide: I think it is the piston from the 880 block

Attachments

• received_413662437986063.jpeg
    received_413662437986063.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ZZ3/ZZ4s had the lightweight Mahle L98/LT1 flat tops.
As did my "service replacement" crate engine with "880" block, intended for an early-90's Caprice TBI.

Those Hypereutectic pistons work really well, and are very inexpensive compared to forged. Recommended, but beware that the compression height on the aftermarket replacements has been compromised by .010.

The Vortec pistons have a substantial (and disappointing) dish. The Speed-Pro replacement claims the dish dimensions are "0.098 inch deep x 2.771 inch diameter." No CC listing given.
www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h815dcp30/make/chevrolet/model/k1500/year/1997

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pistons in this particular 880 block are dished. Are there several versions of dished pistons that came in theese blocks or just one?

Edit: Got this from the seller when asking for something totally different:suicide: I think it is the piston from the 880 block
The 880 blocks were used as OE for some TBIs and Vortecs, service replacement engines for both and crate engines along with industrial and marine applications. There are several different pistons fitted into them as such.

My 880 block 1-ton TBI engine had 18cc dished pistons. The L31s like the 8800+ GVW I had in my 97 Express were all 12cc dished to my knowledge.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As did my "service replacement" crate engine with "880" block, intended for an early-90's Caprice TBI.

Those Hypereutectic pistons work really well, and are very inexpensive compared to forged. Recommended!

The Vortec pistons have a substantial (and disappointing) dish. The Speed-Pro replacement claims the dish dimensions are "0.098 inch deep x 2.771 inch diameter." No CC listing given.
www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h815dcp30/make/chevrolet/model/k1500/year/1997
I think you can still buy the shortblock from GM. Years ago I bought 2 or 3 of them to replace rod knocking L31 lower ends. Back then they were far cheaper than the L31 crate engine and being a short block that allowed you to pick what cam and heads you wanted to run.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 880 blocks were used as OE for some TBIs and Vortecs, service replacement engines for both and crate engines along with industrial and marine applications. There are several different pistons fitted into them as such.

My 880 block 1-ton TBI engine had 18cc dished pistons. The L31s like the 8800+ GVW I had in my 97 Express were all 12cc dished to my knowledge.
This 880 has a plastic timing cover and what apears to be PM rods( funky "casting" line near the edge of the beam, havent seen the caps) so it''s a Vortec, and I' m pretty sure it is not an industrial engine, could be marine I guess.... But I'm done trying to squeeze coherent information out of the selller so I'm going to assume it has 12cc dished pistons then. I promise I won't hold it against you if they turn out to be something else in the end :)

Last edited:

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you can still buy the shortblock from GM. Years ago I bought 2 or 3 of them to replace rod knocking L31 lower ends. Back then they were far cheaper than the L31 crate engine and being a short block that allowed you to pick what cam and heads you wanted to run.
You can buy a ZZ short block but it is like 4k.