880 vortec blocks, what pistons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can still buy the shortblock from GM. Years ago I bought 2 or 3 of them to replace rod knocking L31 lower ends. Back then they were far cheaper than the L31 crate engine and being a short block that allowed you to pick what cam and heads you wanted to run.
Do you still have a part number? That'd be a simple and easy way to get a decently-equipped "new" short-block.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you still have a part number? That'd be a simple and easy way to get a decently-equipped "new" short-block.
Here is a link to the ZZ

Here is the 383.

Both are far more $$$ than they were but everything is higher now including machine shop labor. From what I understand, GM moved the manufacturing of these engines back to the USA from Mexico as well a couple of years ago. I completed engines for a couple of customers years ago from these short blocks. One had Edelbrock heads and the second had AFRs put on them. GM roller cam fits right in either. To my knowledge both are still running well.