Another aluminum head question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way I remember it, the Flotechs are Summit's "recommended replacement" for the no-longer-available heads that actually fit a TBI intake manifold.

Problem is, the Flotechs have the wrong angle on the center two intake manifold bolts. Someone at Summit screwed the pooch when they recommended them for TBI engines with the goofy bolt angles.

OTOH, if you're not using a TBI intake manifold that has the goofy bolt angles, they'd work just fine.

The Flotechs are supposedly Made in USA. I'd double-check that, I'm concerned that they may be ASSEMBLED here, from cheap Chinese castings.
Sounds like you are describing what AFR is doing in the last sentance.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the Flotek's are another Chi-com casting.

I have a Chinese casting on my 383. Better quality than any of the GM Vortecs or even the Fastburns. I would say they rival the Edelbrock Etecs I have in actual material and machining quality. My only dissapointment with them is although they have center bolt valve cover provisions, the valve cover rail is not machined correctly to accept stock stamped steel valve covers. Even AFR does not correct this fitment issue on their Enforcer line. It is a major PITA to fit anything other than the stock valve cover on a L31. That is the one place Edelbrock gets an A+ and the Chinese head a F.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Chinese casting on my 383. Better quality than any of the GM Vortecs or even the Fastburns. I would say they rival the Edelbrock Etecs I have in actual material and machining quality. My only dissapointment with them is although they have center bolt valve cover provisions, the valve cover rail is not machined correctly to accept stock stamped steel valve covers. Even AFR does not correct this fitment issue on their Enforcer line. It is a major PITA to fit anything other than the stock valve cover on a L31. That is the one place Edelbrock gets an A+ and the Chinese head a F.
I think you used Assault bare castings and built them up? It's a better way to do it.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Again, no love anywhere for budget build aluminum heads.

I get it... and opinions are like @$$h0les....

I guess we're going to see what happens - until I win the lottery and can comfortably afford a wallet draining brand name part.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I remember it, the Flotechs are Summit's "recommended replacement" for the no-longer-available heads that actually fit a TBI intake manifold.

Problem is, the Flotechs have the wrong angle on the center two intake manifold bolts. Someone at Summit screwed the pooch when they recommended them for TBI engines with the goofy bolt angles.

OTOH, if you're not using a TBI intake manifold that has the goofy bolt angles, they'd work just fine.

The Flotechs are supposedly Made in USA. I'd double-check that, I'm concerned that they may be ASSEMBLED here, from cheap Chinese castings.
Summit's reply to my complaint:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108 These heads were a Godsend for... [Incident: 230819-003334]
Sent: Sun, Aug 20, 2023 at 12:38 pm
To: schurkey

You must be registered for see images attach

Subject​

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108 These heads were a Godsend for...
Response By Email (Adam) (08/20/2023 01:38 PM)
Schurkey,

Thank you for the email. I will pass this along to data to get that corrected because you are 100% correct.

We appreciate your business
Thank you,
Adam
Summit Racing Equipment

Customer By CSS Web (SCHURKEY) (08/19/2023 08:32 PM)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108

These heads were a Godsend for folks with TBI engines having the goofy intake-manifold bolt pattern, where the middle two bolts were drilled 'n' tapped at a different angle compared to previous SBC cylinder heads.

***WHY are you recommending Flotek cylinder heads to replace the Summit TBI heads?*** THEY WILL NOT FIT THE TBI INTAKE MANIFOLD BOLT PATTERN. This is a MISTAKE. You're wasting time, money, effort, and enthusiasm by recommending non-compatible parts.

Question Reference # 230819-003334
  • Date Created: 08/19/2023 08:32 PM
  • Date Last Updated: 08/20/2023 01:38 PM

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you notch the inner gasket rails on your valve covers to go down around those perimeter bosses?