Diagnosing accessory clicking when hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97-2door

Reaction score
I recently completed my new engine install. Everything went fairly well and started up without issue. As soon as it started though, I notice the belt chirping. I assumed I'd probably contaminated the belt with some oil or coolant and didn't think much of it. With the engine install, I also installed a new power steering pump and water pump. I topped all the fluids off, heated it up, and re-checked torques. Now that I've had the chance to drive it long enough to really get it hot, I've noticed the belt chirp turns in to a very random and very loud clicking. It's happened several times now and seems to consistently appear when everything gets hot. The noise is not affected by speed, whether I'm turning, and even happens while idling in park. I've added a video of the noise while idling. There are two sets of two loud clicks towards the end. This noise happens repeatedly while hot, but in no specific order. There is usually several seconds of silence between sets of clicks. Trying to narrow it down to a specific accessory, and looking for any words of wisdom. I did test removing the belt and idling briefly. With the belt removed, everything is silky smooth and quiet. I've tried a new belt also with no change. Thanks in advance!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try a stethoscope, harbor freight or AutoZone, O'Reilly's. There cheap but can narrow down noise source.
When you had the belt off did you spin all pulleys by hand slowly listening and feeling for anything unusual?
An idler pulley bearing near end of life can start chirping, squeaking, screaming, grinding. Sometimes tensioner does odd sounds.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@GoToGuy beat me to it. That stethoscope is inexpensive and a valuable tool. Get the "full meal deal" with the scope. The longer the hose the better. It will come with a solid metal probe that has a sound enhancer at the end where the hose attaches. The business end of the solid probe can be set against the metal housing of wherever you are searching for the noise. I also have an attachment that is handy. It is a hollow tube that attaches at end of hose and at the other end will have a small rubber cone to help enhance the noise. The rubber cone is great for listening to park assist sensors, on other vehicles of course. You just activate the sensor in the vehicle you are having a problem with and hold the cone over the sensor in the bumper. If sensor is working, it will sound like a rapid "Geiger Counter" in your ears. If is silent, that sensor is not working.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you find the problem? Tensioner perhaps?

Too, belt noise can be an indicator of pulley misalignment. If you haven’t solved this mystery you might try that avenue.