Young man seeking guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really sounds like they're counting on you not being able to advance in order to keep paying you a less-than-competitive wage.
This.
I agree with everything else you said, but combine this with the whole "you won't find a job that pays better" thing, and we know all we need to know about that work environment.
I absolutely LOVE when people tell me what I'm able to do. Nah, YOU wouldn't find a better job. And I ain't you...

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
It's just ******, I just tried to tell these guys so I wouldn't accumulate attendance points and what would 30 mins difference in the schedule hurt if I'm trying to get the ball rolling months ahead

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t know your supervisor but sounds kind of like he is dealing with staffing frustrations. It is hard to fill positions right now, and he may be worried if you leave it will be just another shortfall he has to cover.

You did the right thing letting him know your situation. If a report came to me openly about pursuing additional education I would at least respect the honesty even if I thought they might leave.

I have a feeling you will find out how much they value you moving forward.

Best of luck. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Good fortune rarely drops into someone’s lap unless they at least have a positive attitude to draw it to them.

Lastly some words an old man told me that stick with me to this day “Never known a hard worker to go hungry.” Working smarter is better than working harder, but when all else fails it helps to have that grit.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Official start date has been moved from October 15th to October 10th. I'm saving my week of vacation for the week I start so I can hopefully get the first week out of the way and see what it's going to be like time-wise.
What do you guys recommend for a good dial caliper and 1 inch micrometer that won't break the bank.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Official start date has been moved from October 15th to October 10th. I'm saving my week of vacation for the week I start so I can hopefully get the first week out of the way and see what it's going to be like time-wise.
What do you guys recommend for a good dial caliper and 1 inch micrometer that won't break the bank.
Mitutoyo for me, I am a machinist for blue origin and the super nice mitutoyo 0-1” micrometer (digital) is around $150 I think and you won’t find anything better or need anything more expensive, the 6” calipers (same mitutoyo digital) are about $200 if I remember correctly, let me find links

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...Then something made by Starret, Mitutoyo, etc. Is the tool permitted to be used vs new?

I've got some Husky digital 6" calipers, that are okay for general purpose use; probably the same as anything mass produced for that price-point. Recently bought a used Mitutoyo dial bore guage as I'm trying to learn the craft of engine overhaul. I didn't find any used quality micrometers, so I bought the Chicom 0-6" set from Summit. I know...:rolleyes: Seems okay for my use as a hobbyist, but for a professional use I'd gone the used name-brand route. I actually also bought the HF 1" digital micrometer just to check it out and it's pretty good too.

Lots of other older quality instruments out there, like Brown & Sharpe, Lufkin and I can't remember what else. I think Fowler is also good?