Young man seeking guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The caliper cannot be digital as per the instructors tool list
I have the same Mitutoyo digital calipers as mentioned above, had them for years (at least 3 batteries worth). When I was working in the aluminum extrusion business we did a Gauge R&R (Reliability and Repeatability) on all tools used for measuring, as per Six Sigma guidelines. You take 10 samples and 3 people. Each person measures each sample so, you have 30 samples (sometimes more samples/people). My digital calipers came in fine along with other dial ones so, I'll tend to disagree with your instructor. Ask him/her if they have heard of a Gauge R&R. ;)

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure why the instructor is like that. The small block chevys and gm ls based engines that I have rebuilt did fine with all digital measuring tools
This is for a class? I thought it was for a job.

If it's for a class, they most likely want you to learn how use read micrometer/Vernier scale correctly. Once you are done with the class, you can probably use whatever you want.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The caliper cannot be digital as per the instructors tool list
If it's for a class, they most likely want you to learn how use read micrometer/Vernier scale correctly. Once you are done with the class, you can probably use whatever you want.
Yup. I don't agree with it. Digital calipers are ubiquitous, and if you have to use the old style, it's not rocket science. Kinda like forcing kids to learn how to write in cursive. There should be a single hour of class where he teaches you the old-school method for gee-whizzes. Maybe ten years later in your career you're stuck in the boonies somewhere and the only tool available is that one, and you fiddle around for five minutes until you remember what he showed you.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My teacher from the machining program required dial and vernier as well, just to reach us how to read them, but it sucked when I went to work because every shop uses digital now, and I already spent the money of dial.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
I figured I'd just go harbor freight or the summit set. I'm not looking for anything just spectacular for school.
Don't wanna go broke either because I still have bills to pay and kids to feed

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured I'd just go harbor freight or the summit set. I'm not looking for anything just spectacular for school.
Don't wanna go broke either because I still have bills to pay and kids to feed
I understand. This is just a one semester type of class? Check this out:

Looks almost identical to the Summit set to me. Probably assembled by the same youngster hands overseas: https://www.harborfreight.com/micrometer-set-3-pc-64202.html

Grand total: $65

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have the same Mitutoyo digital calipers as mentioned above, had them for years (at least 3 batteries worth). When I was working in the aluminum extrusion business we did a Gauge R&R (Reliability and Repeatability) on all tools used for measuring, as per Six Sigma guidelines. You take 10 samples and 3 people. Each person measures each sample so, you have 30 samples (sometimes more samples/people). My digital calipers came in fine along with other dial ones so, I'll tend to disagree with your instructor. Ask him/her if they have heard of a Gauge R&R. ;)
Working on aircraft, one of the most frustrating aspects when dealing with the suits upstairs concerned Gauge R&R.
Once a year, all our measuring tools had to be sent away. Every one of them in the shop. Tools that had been Dad's, My Uncle's (A tailor, so oddball stuff.) One's I'd had 30-40 years. One's I used daily.
I'm talking emotional attachments, here! lol!
Production stopped. Screw it. "I'm taking 10 days outa my O/T bank! Bye!"
I mean, c'mon. Upholstery. It's not like hydraulics, or sheet metal, jet engines, avionics.
Sure. Our tolerances were quantitative, but it's not like our exact measurements were written in stone. Dictated by a manual.
Our standard of perfection was the ability to replicate multiple examples, all exactly the same, by hand, from raw materials without a definitive guide as to the OEM's prescribed requirements or measurements.
We had a very wide margin of creativity.
When customer's would ask what it's gonna look like finished, it's not far from the truth when I tell them, "I dunno. I'm just making this **** up as I go along."
But as 'Interiors' also included the wood shop, our measurement devices were subject to their same standards.
So someone in Montreal (Head Office) had (*ahem*) 'translated' the Gauge R&R as having a time function.
But...No. Nonono.
The tests only answers the question of whether the gauge is the correct gauge for the job.
If it is the correct gauge for the job today, guess what? It will be the correct gauge for the job tomorrow. Asking to repeat Gauge R&Rs over time is nonsense.
If you do a Gauge R&R correctly, it is good until you change gauges, or make a radical change to the geometry of the characteristic measured.

Now, that doesn't mean that customers may fuss that they want them done routinely. But, that is just an indication that either they do not trust your ability to do it correctly, or that they do not understand that there is no time function to Gauge R&R.

Trying to convince these people that the MAS, 'Measurement System Analysis' was more important & a much less expensive procedure than the unnecessarily redundant Gauge R&R's was like banging my head against a wall.

Last edited: