Young man seeking guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
@Frank Enstein I can completely agree. The only reason I'm still renting is because this is a really nice trailer park with a decent owner. And I only pay $400 a month rent.
And if the landlord needs his dump trailer moved me and the c2500 has that covered for free. I have to haul limbs and trash about every two weeks to the local dump and by trash I mean yard debris

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Update: I have all my tools, and I am ready to go. Waiting on October 15th.

BUT I asked one of my 3 supervisors to help me out.
I work from 3-11:30 on evening shift. School is 8-2. I asked them if I could work 3:30 to 12 and the conversation went something like this:
Lead engineer:"so you're going to take this diesel course, finish it, and leave us high and dry?"
Me: "no sir, i just feel as though this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I might not have another chance."
LE: "so, why not take a plc programming course?"
Me: "I was told that this company would provide courses, opportunity to learn, and room to move up the ladder on stuff like plcs, vfds, and other forms of automation and motor controls, which I have seen none of and I've been here a year and 2 months. and i love working with anything that burns fuel, from gensets to nitro rc cars, it's a passion. I'm not saying that I'm just going to stop caring about my job by doing this, I just want to feed my passion."
Then one of the other supervisors butts in and proceeds to say "you won't find a job that pays any better"
Then the sead engineer says "I guess I'll see what I can do"
I honestly walked out of that office fuming, I felt like I was doing the right thing by giving them a heads up on what's going on so the schedule can be adjusted accordingly. Even if it can't that's fine. It almost seems like they're trying to talk me out of going.
I have honestly thought about finding a new job after this conversation. Even if it pays less. I just somehow think less of my superiors because of that one conversation.
Anyone wanna chip in and give me their thoughts?
Haha sorry about the rant
Of course they’re trying not to let you obtain more skills!!! Why because then you may end up having more knowledge of what’s really going on/ right way to go about something than them!!!! They Can’t have a supposedly worker bee knowing more than them!!! It’s sounds like all that plus they have you in a spot that you can’t advance nor make more but your doin your job very well so much that they feel threatened by you now but if you obtain more skills then they’ll be in fear of they’re jobs!!! And they gone to supervisor training that teaches one to nicely deter anyone who is trying to defer from the order of things! Remember this you’ll never get,have,make,enjoy more of your life bye continuing to keep doing status quoes and repeating the same ole things with the same ole people you’ll never grow advance from where you are now!! And change isn’t for the weak it takes determination to get up and out to put yourself onto the right path for a better future for you and family!!! If you know what your doing feels right then it is! Don’t get sidetracked bye nay sayers they just don’t want/see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! Good luck

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houses have to meet building codes. Trailer homes were originally built as an end-run around the codes, but now they have their own code. That code is still far weaker than regular building codes, and trailer home manufacturers are charging near-house prices. I wouldn't touch a trailer home, especially living in tornado alley.

Location matters most. Find a nice part of town and then look for a house that suits your family. If you're willing to do work yourself, get a house that needs some minor fixes and updating - especially if your long-term goal is a larger, nicer house. Definitely pay for a good pre-purchase inspection from a reputable inspector.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The wife thinks she found our last house today. She went through and said it's the one! We have been looking for a long time for this. I'm going through it the day after tomorrow and I have veto power (she gave it to me)!
She didn't even want to look at it at first.

That just proves tomorrow is a new day. Everything can change in moments.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The wife thinks she found our last house today. She went through and said it's the one! We have been looking for a long time for this. I'm going through it the day after tomorrow and I have veto power (she gave it to me)!
She didn't even want to look at it at first.

That just proves tomorrow is a new day. Everything can change in moments.
Yup, look at me: I'm eating breakfast one morning, hit the forum while I'm waiting for Mom to finish eating, see the post about a 97 crew cab, and two days later we have a truck!

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Then that settles that. No mobile home for this guy.

I'm about to say to hèll with this bread factory and just go back to doing actual mechanic work for a living.
I'm tired of being paid the least when the new hires come in the door making 28 beans an hour or more with less experience in industrial maintenance. I just trained my new supervisor actually.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of being paid the least when the new hires come in the door making 28 beans an hour or more with less experience in industrial maintenance. I just trained my new supervisor actually.
Been there, done that, gave my two weeks notice and they were so short-handed they kept me on that two weeks. That was a unique feeling.