Seeking bench grinder recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I've decided it's time to replace my current $5 yard sale black n decker bench grinder with one that useful for more than sharpening a drill bit. Ideally, I'd like an older heavy bench grinder that will outlast my ability to use it. Realistically, I've not come across one for a price i can justify.

That said, what are some of your recommendations on brand and how well they hold up? I'm not looking for daily use, just a reasonable use around the house on mower blades, bolts, hobby type stuff.

I've considered delta and porter cable units from lowes and also looked at the HF offerings.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I dont think brand matters as much as motor size, look for the highest HP rating. Nothing more frustrating that dealing with an underpowered grinder when your trying to hog off a bunch of metal fast.
Precisely why I'm looking to upgrade. The current one is probably older than i am, worn out bearings, and struggles to sharpen a 1/2 wood chisel. ...

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago Baldor was the go to brand. I had a 3/4 HP one that could do just about anything you want it to do. But they aren't cheap!
They're a bit out of my price range unless i happen across one in a scrap pile unfortunately. Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble across one at a yard sale or something.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Mentioned to my wife that I am looking for a new one, she recalls her dad having one in their basement that likely hasn't seen daylight in ~15 years. Will be inquiring tomorrow about it. May just be the right price and suitable enough for now.

Everytime we've cleaned up bushhog blades its been with angle grinder laying under it (pto disconnected of course).

Edit- also blocked up with a few logs. Can't have it creeping down on me.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Mine is surplus industrial.....1 hp,1 ph, 8" wheels, made by the United States Electrical Tool Company. I have a grinding wheel on one side and a wire wheel on the other. I use the wire wheel the most, but unfortunately it still throws wires even though I have an industrial grade wheel on it.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All 5 of my corded power tools are Makita. Got lucky, my Pa gave them to me when he moved into the retirement home. Very old and durable ( my Pa too), but were pricy back in the day. All Good