Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
^^^Yep, that's what they did to me several years ago when I pulled a quad sealed beam headlight assembly off a GMT400. They tried to ring it up as a "Composite Headlight Assembly" I think, for nearly double the price. If it wasn't for the confused look on her face I'd have probably just went, "Whoa.." and paid the price. I don't like being "that guy" and try get out of the way as quickly as possible.. Then two weeks ago I got a "coffee can" vacuum reservoir for our F150. Dude tried to ring up as a vacuum modulator or pump. "Uhh, do you see any wires or anything that looks even remotely electromechanical??" Then during the same transaction they made me pay for a junk power steering pump attached to the bracket I pulled for the same truck. Didn't have a puller to get the pulley off to remove said junk pump. Didn't matter what I said, I had to pay for the pump. Ten years ago, I doubt it would've been rung up.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every part you destroy is a part the yard cant sell.
And that comes out of profits.

I'm going to pick up a couple parts for my son's Kia and realized yesterday that he's got a massive refrigerant leak at the discharge hose where the rubber crimps....it's easy access right in front of the compressor. Kid's been driving around with no ac for 3 months...:boxing:

call up to the yard to check on the parts I ordered pulled and asked about the hose since I'm going there later....He said he just saw one but needs to make sure it hasn't been cut...
$75 from dealer.... 2 fasteners....
This isn't even the self serv section that they also have....

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even bother with LKQ any more. They charge half of what a part is new, even after they got the free labor of me pulling it myself. I've left parts on their counter because they wanted a stupid price for them. Then they don't even bother to police their yard. It's a dangerous mess.

Meanwhile P-A-P sends guys out to clear the aisles and they charge less to boot.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don't even bother with LKQ any more. They charge half of what a part is new, even after they got the free labor of me pulling it myself. I've left parts on their counter because they wanted a stupid price for them. Then they don't even bother to police their yard. It's a dangerous mess.

Meanwhile P-A-P sends guys out to clear the aisles and they charge less to boot.
I like the U Pull And Pay setup a lot better, but they're much farther away from me. And since they sold out to/got bought by Pull A Part, their prices have gone up and they don't have any more "discount days". Sometimes they have a monthly special on certain categories of parts, this month it's glass.
The Wrench A Part yards in the Austin area are the best set up....but that's a 3 hour drive!
So...since I have an LKQ (Houston SW) less than 5 miles away from home, if I need something and don't want to spend half my daylight on getting there and back, that's where I go.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got back from the salvage yard I use a few times a year..... Just found out they don't have the U pull section anymore. Said one of the main reasons was because people would trash the vehicles. I always wanted to go back and dig out the seats from a 95 Tahoe 2 door that looked like they were in really nice shape but had just about the entire engine bay apart from the motor and the entire front suspension...covering them ..Oh well....

Did manage to get a few parts from it in the past....
Saw this neat one there today.....

Attachments

• IMG20240426123232.jpg
    IMG20240426123232.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 3

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do Anyone have yard pics to share to this post?
Here's the "classics" aisle at Pull-A-Part OKC. Yes, that's a Citroen DS in the middle of the pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

From the other end. Pretty straight F-body right up front.

There was a Plymouth Volare sedan right in the middle. I grew up in a Volare coupe. That's also where I learned basic maintenance. My dad paid me to do oil changes every three months and to keep the oil topped off between oil changes. If a slant six isn't leaking oil, it's out.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now for what y'all are really interested in, GMT400 content. Here's the glory of Pull-A-Part OKC. There's four more rows you can't see, and about 15% of these are GMT400s. GMT800s and Dodges are taking over prominence, so rescue these parts while you still can! I saw zero squarebodies this afternoon.

If anyone's looking for Escalade parts, there's a still-mostly-intact Esky a few rows in. That's an intact Compass/Temp mirror and upper console.

I also found a C3500 with a nice service bed. There's a bit of damage to a couple of the doors, but nothing a pair of channel locks and a hammer can't fix. I'd love to haul this home and put it on Roscoe, but that's not likely to happen. The 14 bolt is still there - grab it while you can. PAP-OKC is DIRT CHEAP!

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the "classics" aisle at Pull-A-Part OKC. Yes, that's a Citroen DS in the middle of the pic.

From the other end. Pretty straight F-body right up front.

There was a Plymouth Volare sedan right in the middle. I grew up in a Volare coupe. That's also where I learned basic maintenance. My dad paid me to do oil changes every three months and to keep the oil topped off between oil changes. If a slant six isn't leaking oil, it's out.

Nice photos

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got back from the salvage yard I use a few times a year..... Just found out they don't have the U pull section anymore. Said one of the main reasons was because people would trash the vehicles. I always wanted to go back and dig out the seats from a 95 Tahoe 2 door that looked like they were in really nice shape but had just about the entire engine bay apart from the motor and the entire front suspension...covering them ..Oh well....

Did manage to get a few parts from it in the past....
Saw this neat one there today.....
Nice

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now for what y'all are really interested in, GMT400 content. Here's the glory of Pull-A-Part OKC. There's four more rows you can't see, and about 15% of these are GMT400s. GMT800s and Dodges are taking over prominence, so rescue these parts while you still can! I saw zero squarebodies this afternoon.

If anyone's looking for Escalade parts, there's a still-mostly-intact Esky a few rows in. That's an intact Compass/Temp mirror and upper console.

I also found a C3500 with a nice service bed. There's a bit of damage to a couple of the doors, but nothing a pair of channel locks and a hammer can't fix. I'd love to haul this home and put it on Roscoe, but that's not likely to happen. The 14 bolt is still there - grab it while you can. PAP-OKC is DIRT CHEAP!

Nice photos
Cool trucks