4L60E going in and out of lock up Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Tahoe 2dr 4wd 4L60e and recently had the transmission rebuilt by a local transmission shop. New torque converter, new electrical wiring, new TCC valve, was installed during the rebuild along with other items that’s with a typical rebuild. Had this issue before the rebuild with the torque converter going in and out of lock up. First thought it was a spark plug or misfiring but it’s the TCC lock up. I can press the brake pedal and rpm drops for the on / off . Replaced the TPS sensor and didn’t fix it. Also new tune up, wires, spark plugs, rotor cap, cleaned the injectors. Still does it in and out of lock up. Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated. Love this site it’s full of great content. Thank you

EJ_74

Reaction score
Did you replace the brake light switch?

EJ_74

Reaction score
I believe that switch also has a set of contacts that control the TCC. Might be worth a try

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Tahoe 2dr 4wd 4L60e and recently had the transmission rebuilt by a local transmission shop. New torque converter, new electrical wiring, new TCC valve, was installed during the rebuild along with other items that’s with a typical rebuild. Had this issue before the rebuild with the torque converter going in and out of lock up. First thought it was a spark plug or misfiring but it’s the TCC lock up. I can press the brake pedal and rpm drops for the on / off . Replaced the TPS sensor and didn’t fix it. Also new tune up, wires, spark plugs, rotor cap, cleaned the injectors. Still does it in and out of lock up. Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated. Love this site it’s full of great content. Thank you
Did you test the vehicle wiring harness for shorts or other issues? Did the shop replace the bushings, particularly the pump's rear stator bushing? If that bushing is excessively worn and not replaced you'll have the same symptoms...I'd think they did, given what you mentioned they did with respect to the VB and other things but it's worth checking.

Did you install an OEM throttle position sensor? Also, agree with the above - check the brake light switch as well as for any engine vacuum leaks.

Reaction score
Did you test the vehicle wiring harness for shorts or other issues? Did the shop replace the bushings, particularly the pump's rear stator bushing? If that bushing is excessively worn and not replaced you'll have the same symptoms...I'd think they did, given what you mentioned they did with respect to the VB and other things but it's worth checking.

Did you install an OEM throttle position sensor? Also, agree with the above - check the brake light switch as well as for any engine vacuum leaks.

No didn’t test the vehicle wiring harness. Will do that. Need to check my invoice to see about the bushing. On the TPS I’m not sure if it was an OEM part. Will verify. Thanks for the reply I’ll keep y’all posted!!