Young man seeking guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Then that settles that. No mobile home for this guy.

I'm about to say to hèll with this bread factory and just go back to doing actual mechanic work for a living.
I'm tired of being paid the least when the new hires come in the door making 28 beans an hour or more with less experience in industrial maintenance. I just trained my new supervisor actually.
So that “I just trained my new supervisor” that right there is all you need for yourself and to anyone else who questions you on what your next steps are in your path of making money!!!!!! If you actually value yourself and to achieve a better quality of life for you n family then you know what you need to do immediately as to not get pulled down further into they’re vortex of never being happy with your profession!!But now it’s on you to follow though on making a better life for yourself!!!

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
There you go already formulating a plan!! Dump that that other job like “2week old HOT MILK” !!!! An if anyone asks why “because I just trained my supervisor “ !!
An last day is last day no 2 weeks because they wouldn’t skip a beat for you if layoffs came around you’d be giving papers quickly since you have skills they don’t want anyone else to know about!!!

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Hey guys, another update.
I looked at my account with the school. The federal Pell grant has kicked in and the school actually owes me 835 dollars now!
Just seemed like a pleasant surprise (even if that money will go to pay for the rest of my books and tools)
I'm still working at the bread company but am looking for another job (jobs are sorta hard to come by even though I hear the term "nobody wants to work" often)
I'm looking forward to starting school, finishing, and getting into a decent career as a diesel mechanic and opening a new chapter in life.
And for something gmt400 related, I just replaced my dizzy with a delphi unit and that cleared my miss and hesitation up. The magnets for the pickup were broken and cracked. But the drive gear looked great.
Seems like I could actually be getting ahead for once (don't want to speak too soon)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still working at the bread company but am looking for another job (jobs are sorta hard to come by even though I hear the term "nobody wants to work" often)
Companies say "nobody wants to work" when they really mean "we don't want to pay". If working a full-time job doesn't pay the bills, I can't fault people for dropping out.

I don't think anyone's mentioned finance in this thread yet, but I'll say it. If you don't have at least a thousand bucks stashed in the bank for emergencies, work towards it. You don't want a $500 emergency wrecking your life, and having that stash gives you a level of security that most people in our society don't have any more. As you get older, the amount in your emergency fund needs to grow. I've had to run out and buy a decent running car from my emergency fund. It's nice being able to pay cash instead of trying to line up a loan.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Companies say "nobody wants to work" when they really mean "we don't want to pay". If working a full-time job doesn't pay the bills, I can't fault people for dropping out.

I don't think anyone's mentioned finance in this thread yet, but I'll say it. If you don't have at least a thousand bucks stashed in the bank for emergencies, work towards it. You don't want a $500 emergency wrecking your life, and having that stash gives you a level of security that most people in our society don't have any more. As you get older, the amount in your emergency fund needs to grow. I've had to run out and buy a decent running car from my emergency fund. It's nice being able to pay cash instead of trying to line up a loan.
Your 100 percent rite. Everything is so expensive today, and the prices keep skyrocketing. We have an Amazon fulfillment center here in town. They pay $15 per hour. Still a very low wage to try and live on. A small business owner comes into our shop, a few weeks ago. Talking about how people just don't want to work anymore. He can find people to work. His problem is, he pays 8.50 to 9.00 per hour. He says, yeah, sure, Amazon pays a lot better but, they are very strict. If you show up late for work, Amazon will fire you. He says, I'm a lot more leanient. Yeah, ok, but, if you don't make enough money to live on, than you don't have a choice, but to find something else. My son was working security at a major oil service company. $9.00 per hour. Every week, He has to take money out of His savings, so that He could eat. His housing cost, is less than $400 a month. He drives a 4 cylinder Toyota, Tocama, that gets about 30 MPGs in town. He wasn't spending a penny more than he needed to. You just can live on $9 or $10 per hour. I don't care how hard you try. My son quit that job, and has been driving a hot shot truck for a living. His first week of driving, he made more than he had in 3 weeks of working security.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hey guys, another update.
I looked at my account with the school. The federal Pell grant has kicked in and the school actually owes me 835 dollars now!
Just seemed like a pleasant surprise (even if that money will go to pay for the rest of my books and tools)
I'm looking forward to starting school, finishing, and getting into a decent career as a diesel mechanic and opening a new chapter in life.
And for something gmt400 related, I just replaced my dizzy with a delphi unit and that cleared my miss and hesitation up. The magnets for the pickup were broken and cracked. But the drive gear looked great.
Seems like I could actually be getting ahead for once (don't want to speak too soon)
Pell grants are great if you can get them. That's part of how my brother got his education from Houston Community College in the 2000s.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The main reason you are getting the runaround about the company increasing your opportunities in the job you are in is that in that job you are solving their problem and anything you do to change or better yourself means that their problem is no longer solved.

They have you in the little box they want you in and are unhappy when you move to leave it. More companies go bankrupt for management ego reasons than just about anything else.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is only one very basic and very simple rule for a long term relationship.
It is your life and you only get one chance.
It is her life and she only gets one chance.
You each own whatever you do in life
A marriage or a relationship is all about a couple of people who can tolerate eachs others nonsense.
And it has not a damn thing to do with controlling someone else.
It is all about trust.
And that doesnt come easy.
Trusting someone doesnt come from a lie where they tell you not worry because you can trust them.
Run right the **** away.

Twenty years
Our last argument involved me keeping the seeds in the japalenos when i pickled them.
I pickled some seedlees but she doesnt know that yet.
This crazy woman only eats a friggen cheeseburger if it has a plain bun and coated in mustard.
Nothing else.
She also eats grilled chicken livers which is just nasty and vile.
Gaack!
But she thinks it is beyond disgusting if I have some Kippers on melba toast with red onion and shaved parmeson
Which is ******* fantastic by the way.
Drizzle a little olive oil and just a couple of drops of balsamic.
Fresh parsley on the top.
Put the oil on first. Before the vinegar.
The oil will soak in and form a barrier that keeps the vinegar from dissolving the bread.
If you have made it this far.
You have to follow your dreams my freind.
The only way to be worth a **** to anybody else is to be good and strong to yourself bud.
Go out and chase ypur dreams and find your spot in the world.
Do what the **** ever you want to do.
but do it all the way.
Chase that.
You will never ever ever have any succesfull relationship if you are not allowed to live your own life.
At no point during the ceremony do you agree to drop ******* dead.
It is all about trust.
And nothing else really matters.
Go chase that dream my freind
Go ******* do it.
You will never regret taking a shot and following your dream.
That will never happen.
But you will feel like and old ******* wimp for not doing it.
******* do it!
You only get one try at this life.
Do it!

Last edited: