Winter Weight For Traction?

Discussion in 'Street Chat / Timeslips' started by CrustyJunker, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Trenton

Trenton Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies

For sure, always brake A LOT sooner, and drive slower around corners. I'm suggesting studded tires because in my experience it helps a lot. I put a set of studded tires on my '02 Impala and that helped me out greatly last winter. I put non-studded winter tires on my Impala this year and they don't grip as well in acceleration or cornering as the studded tires did. I drive hotel shuttles for a resort and our RWD Ford Transit dually vans have studded tires which helps also. Driving 12 people and their luggage to the airport is kind of important. You need all the traction you can in a town where it snows 300" a year, haha.

As far as sports go, I don't care for basketball, but I AM a CHIEFS FAN!

1ton-o-fun and HotWheelsBurban like this.
  2. Trenton

Trenton Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies

Directional snow tires grip really well, though. The angled sipes and tread gaps are designed to eject snow, ice, and slush. I will agree, though, any snow tire will bet years better than any all-terrain tire. The softer rubber in snow tires sticks to the concrete so much better.

HotWheelsBurban likes this.
  3. Ehall8702

Ehall8702 I'm Awesome

I can't say they grip "better" than non directional snows but since they can't be rotated properly thier lifespan is half of what it should be...atleast that's what I see up here, I put on hundreds of sets of snow tires every winter here lol..the non directional ones last 4-5 season if the owner keeps em rotated. Directional average 2-3 seasons...again just what I've seen in my area.

1ton-o-fun and HotWheelsBurban like this.
  4. 454cid

454cid Sooper Pooper

They may have a soft tread compound but that doesn't mean the case is designed in a way for a decent ride. I'm not positive the tires are what's giving me such a rough ride, but I think it's a good possibility.

These Rotiivas started going up in price well before Covid on Amazon. The last pair, I bought, I got from Walmart, and that was before Amazons price skyrocketed to $200-ish a tire.. I just checked Walmart, and they have them for $170 a tire, now. I don't recall what they were last time I checked. They both get them from the same distributor in Florida.

I have GT Radial Icepro3's on my Saturn. I've been super impressed with them. Unfortunately that tire isn't made in truck sizes.

5. Jermu

Jermu I'm Awesome

I'm afraid I have to be a little skeptical here about your incident, how exactly do you think the studded tires caused it? Momentum can be a bitch, and the studs work to stop it, but too little too late is a thing, imagine if you didn't have those studs there? I'm willing to bet you would've ended up in the ditch regardless, likely a little quicker with the lessened traction and only rubber to ice contact. Naturally, I wasn't there, I wouldn't know, but that just sounds a little off... Do correct me, should you feel the need.

HotWheelsBurban and skylark like this.
  6. Steven Petersen

Steven Petersen I'm Awesome

I’m shocked at how popular snow tires are, even preferred over studs and chains. Maybe the States that have chain requirements will start requiring snow tires instead?

7. Pinger

Pinger I'm Awesome

I'm guessing you've not tried them yet?
    One of the most mind bending driving experiences I've ever had was driving on summer tyres to get snow tyres fitted and the return journey. On the way there (hilly) - and the weather was bad - snowing heavily and drifting with the wind - blizzard conditions - I didn't dare stop or I'd not get moving again but any speed above just maintaining that momentum was terrifying. Snow tyres on and I could generate G force braking. Stop, accelerate away with the tail squatting. The next day on dual carriageway (2 lane freeway) everyone was crawling along on the inside lane at 30 mph and the outside lane was fresh untouched deep snow. I took it and drove past them all at 70mph and still outbraked them for the roundabout.
    They do all that and they are a competent summer tyre also.

Jermu and HotWheelsBurban like this.
  8. Ben Eisler

Ben Eisler Newbie

Canadian observation from dead center of British Columbia: We used Michelin Blizzaks exclusively and loved them until we had an opportunity to compare them side by side to Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires (that spelling IS correct). We have had them both with and without studs. Truly amazing winter tires.

skylark, HotWheelsBurban and Pinger like this.
  9. Pinger

Pinger I'm Awesome

Got these delivered yesterday as the Avons couldn't be obtained in the UK. Fitting is Tuesday next week.
    These are Continental ContiContactCross ATs in 265/65 -17. The tread is a bit more aggressive than the Avon's. Hoping there's no more snow before next week....

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

10. CrustyJunker

CrustyJunker Tractor

Should still work pretty good. Large grooves will help with water and slush.

Pinger and HotWheelsBurban like this.