Winter Weight For Traction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Discussion for everyone, especially the folks from the North! Pickup trucks and SUV's alike. Do you run extra ballast in your truck for winter weight? If so, how much?

Also, when you 4x4 owners commute, do you like to stay in 4WD? Do you switch back and forth? Try to keep it in 2WD for steering maneuverability or fuel economy? '97+ and just use Autotrac?

My old 2-door Tahoe 4x4 was the most sure-footed vehicle I've ever had for wintry weather. 2 or 4 wheel drive, it just kicked butt no matter what. I think the 31 gallon tank behind the rear wheels helped the most.

My reg cab stepsides on the other hand, I almost religiously feel they needed weight in the back. Going in reverse uphill in 2WD in light snow or even loose gravel could be a chore...Depending on conditions. Also, those being stick - I could only let on the power so subtly before giving up and switching to 4-high or 4-low if it's a steep incline. I'll slip the clutch for a few seconds if I have to, but don't want to scorch it!

Your thoughts and opinions, please! :burnout:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 2wd S10 in '96, had her 2 years. Never had weight, wished I did 'cause winter driving was... well, Darrell Waltrip called it "slideways" on a NASCAR track. Others might call it drifting. I called it fun. Now I've got kids, so the wife says nay to... having so much fun.

Since '98 I've had 4x4's.
My '88, I left it in 4x4 in slippery conditions, even going to and from clear to snow covered roads at all speeds. Never had weight, never had a problem with the t-case driving in 4x4 at high speed.

My '00 Denali with Autotrac, I leave it in auto, when daily driving as it senses slip and engages itself. I plow with her, punching the switch into 4x4 when I get to my next driveway. No ballast though Western suggests it when plowing with a pickup, I'm not in a pickup. The Yukon is 1000 lbs heavier, and SUVs are inherently better balanced.

I'd say 2wd you need weight.
Empty pickup trucks, you should have weight.
SUVs, weight is not needed.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't drive my red truck ('97 C1500 standard cab long bed) that often in the winter these days, but when I did I usually added about 300 pounds of sand bags. That was in addition to a toolbox full of stuff. It definitely helps in a 2WD truck.

My '97 K1500 Suburban is just a tank. It needs no assistance, it'll chug through a foot of snow no problem. I've driven it in fresh snow multiple times this winter and never even taken it out of 2HI.

Good tires help a lot, in any case.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've driven a few 2wd pickups in the winter and having some ballast does help. But don't go too far. There was one winter that I had a big giant 650lb loader tire as ballast. I think it hurt more than helped.

With my older 4x4 trucks, I'd drive around all winter with the hubs locked, then pop the shifter to 4x4 as needed. Even at interstate speeds. With our newer truck, I tell my wife to hit the Autotrac button when the roads are iffy. When I'm driving it, I just use 2x4 and go to 4x4 when I want to get through the heavier stuff.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I switch my 4x4 trucks back and forth as I have more control in 2wd but it can be an asspain to get going. With my 2wd ballast in the 200-300# range was worthless. A snowmobile in the back really helped a lot more, but also made it suck to get unstuck once you made a bad decision.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I drove in the winter (and we have winter here) three bags of sand at the tail, 150lbs? Too much weight can cause a police pit maneuver in dicey weather. I have a locking diff 5sp 4x2. And would need a good set of snow tires. Park my Chev now, have a Jeep JK, rarely use 4x4 (good snows on it).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I drove in the winter (and we have winter here) three bags of sand at the tail, 150lbs? Too much weight can cause a police pit maneuver in dicey weather. I have a locking diff 5sp 4x2. And would need a good set of snow tires. Park my Chev now, have a Jeep JK, rarely use 4x4 (good snows on it).

A snowmobile carries most of it's weight in front of the axle centerline.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires for the win! To be fair, I've never driven a vehicle with real, legit "snow" tires. But those DWSs on a Crown Vic with Track Loc make for surprisingly surefooted drives.
I know better than to drive an open rear differential, 4.10 geared, 21 foot long truck in those conditions though.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't have 4wds until 2000 or so. I live in NYS, was stationed in Canada for 2 years. Also in DC area, but that doesnt count, people will abandon their 4wds when it snows lol. I was going everywhere in my lowered 90 RCSB on 275/60 BFG's. Once I put weight in the back, lucky if it was a couple hundred pounds, made a huge difference. Now that I have actually 3 4wd's (including the wifes Tacoma) I've been driving my lowered 2wd Tahoe, with ultra high performance summer tires, 295/45s. I've had more problems getting out of my driveway than out on the roads. But if I drive my Tundra that's lifted with 35s, I never use 4wd inless I have to. Thing I tell my wife, since she's never had a truck, or selectable 4wd, use 2wd until can't go anymore. Then put it in 4wd to get out. If you get stuck in 4wd, ur stuck. The hill I live on is STEEP. IF there is more than a couple inches on the road, ur not getting up it in a 2wd. Now when i had my Tahoe before the 2 I have now, I had awesome tires on it, Goodyear Wrangler Authority I think they were, Wally World sells em, but with a 235/85/16 which is a tall skinny tire, better in snow, I went up my road with about 6-7" inches in 2wd. I had about 4-500lbs of pellets in the back, i was spinning but made it up easy. IMO, 2wd, tall skinny tire, whether a snow or not, BFG A/Ts are good, and some weight over the TIRES, not against the tailgate. 4wd, just good all seasons, if a truck then a little weight over the axle.