Weight Cuts - for *Suburban* - Anyone done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekulggats

Reaction score
Hey all.

Figured weight cutting plays into performance and is the primary reason for it, lol. Hope this thread is not out of place

I've got an 88' Burb and a very clean 98.

I am wondering - with there being so much to the interior of these, so many seats, so much deadening, so much accessories etc how much weight you lose by gutting the interiors of square or GMT Burbs.

I'm running my 3/4 ton 88 burb with just front bench, manual windows, bare painted metal aft of the passenger compartment, just an open box with carpet.

My 1998 burb is fully bedecked with power everything, leather seats, super quiet inside, all seat rows, etc etc.

Basically if anyone knows what going from full interior to a pretty minimal one would do.

I know these things will never be truly *light* but I like the idea of going spartan for feel and mpg gains

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest way, full fuel , all the stuff that gets tossed in and stays in the truck , gets thrown out. I go to the truck scale weigh the vehicle. Or you weigh everything you take out, before you gut it and change layout. Then hit the truck scale.
That's how I got the weight of Ford 9N. I know how much my truck and trailer weigh. Load tractor hop on the scale, have record of tractor weight. Hmm. What's the boat weigh? Hit the scale , minus truck weight, boat and trailer 3350 lbs.
So loosing all the furniture in the back probably got rid of 200 - 300 lbs if two seats removed. Every little bit adds up.
I know I'm carrying an extra 200 lbs all the time. Tie downs, tow rope, come along, self recovery tools, jumper cables, serp belt, tool box, climbing rope, first aid kit, flares, etc. :waytogo:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup I figure my tools and fluids boxes are probably around 150# extra weight. But it's worth the small gain in MPG, to have them available if/when I need them. And my truck is a one ton crew cab, so it's just like I have another person in it....
Around town, if we have much idling (drive thrus or extended parking with it running) it gets around 9 1/2-10 MPG. On the road it depends if we're loaded/towing or not. Best run on the highway, empty, was 14. Don't need a big block, the 350 is thirsty enough.....

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's an idea but fiber glass hood and bumpers I feel would be a noticeable weight loss. Not sure what " minimal interior " goal you have but if your remove every single interior component and just install the seats will be the lightest you could make it. I don't recommend it though because there's a lot of clanking metal and it gets really loud.... I've done it before but left the carpet....

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's an idea but fiber glass hood and bumpers I feel would be a noticeable weight loss. Not sure what " minimal interior " goal you have but if your remove every single interior component and just install the seats will be the lightest you could make it. I don't recommend it though because there's a lot of clanking metal and it gets really loud.... I've done it before but left the carpet....
Drive an empty shell of a cargo van loaded with auto parts sometime as a dealership parts delivery van. Hated it after 10 miles everyday. Its only saving grace was it was an 8.1L with a 4.10 gear so fun to drive.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Drive an empty shell of a cargo van loaded with auto parts sometime as a dealership parts delivery van. Hated it after 10 miles everyday. Its only saving grace was it was an 8.1L with a 4.10 gear so fun to drive.
Yup we had several of the old G vans for a prior job, and they are big speaker boxes. Every little noise is amplified; you can imagine being in one with a bad rear axle bearing....
On the other hand, even with a 350 TBI you have a LOT of cargo capacity and hauling ability. We used them a few times for local swap meets and they were great. Wanted to buy one when the company closed, but they were all severely abused by that point.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 3/4 ton Suburban. If you want a lighter truck, start with an RCSB an S10 or an Astro. You're starting with a heavy frame and suspension. Even if you cut 250 lbs out of the interior, that's less than 5% and you won't notice it. A fully loaded '98 is a nice vehicle to drive. If you yank all that stuff out, nobody will want to take the time to reinstall everything, and whatever value the truck has disappears. If it's what you really want, then knock yourself out. How far do you want to go?

Most importantly, get lightweight wheels and pizza cutter tires. After that, gut the doors. Cut the bracing out of the underside of the hood. Remove the inner fenders. Ditch the side and rear windows for lexan. Get a lighter battery. Ditch the solid sway bars for hollow bars. Drill lightening holes in the inside body panels. Ditch the HVAC.

ekulggats

Reaction score
It's a 3/4 ton Suburban. If you want a lighter truck, start with an RCSB an S10 or an Astro. You're starting with a heavy frame and suspension. Even if you cut 250 lbs out of the interior, that's less than 5% and you won't notice it. A fully loaded '98 is a nice vehicle to drive. If you yank all that stuff out, nobody will want to take the time to reinstall everything, and whatever value the truck has disappears. If it's what you really want, then knock yourself out. How far do you want to go?

Most importantly, get lightweight wheels and pizza cutter tires. After that, gut the doors. Cut the bracing out of the underside of the hood. Remove the inner fenders. Ditch the side and rear windows for lexan. Get a lighter battery. Ditch the solid sway bars for hollow bars. Drill lightening holes in the inside body panels. Ditch the HVAC.
My 1500 '98 is the one Im more interested in-

Basically I'm just trying to get a ballpark of what all of the interior weighs in a suburban, so I can know about what weight difference is being made when i strip it down

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What Eric said, Use to do it with drag cars pulling out 250 lbs won't be a few .10ths. Not butt dyno noticeable 67-69 Camaro convertibles came factory with weights in the rear, remove them and the ran slower for less traction. 70-74 Doges Challengers throw 2 bags on cement in the trunk and they turned better et's. better to remove weight in front of and or above the center of gravity most times.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1500 '98 is the one Im more interested in-

Basically I'm just trying to get a ballpark of what all of the interior weighs in a suburban, so I can know about what weight difference is being made when i strip it down
Weigh the crap as you take it out if you need exact numbers for your stuff. What's so difficult? You're looking for an answer that nobody is going to have. Maybe more than 200 but probably not quite 500.