Cutting Progressive Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello there fellow GMT400 fans and gurus!

I have a 91 C1500, standard cab, short bed, step side. The front has been lowered 4" (assuming), by springs only. My plan is to remove those and install some 2" drop spindles, and cut a coil off of a set of stock replacement springs, for an added 2" drop. I bought a set of MOOG replacement springs, PN CC648. It turns out that they are progressive rate springs, with tighter spacing on the coil at the top.

Anyone ever try cutting these for additional drop? If so, how did that work out for you? Did you cut the tighter spaced end?

I had previously posed this question in the Stupid Lowering Questions thread, but didn't get any response. So I thought I would give it a shot with it's own thread.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My understanding of progressive springs is that the tighter wound part is the stiffer part , my actual experience is cutting off what one would think is a 2"difference in ride height is a gamble. Normally you limited to cutting a full coil so it seats correctly.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tighter wound part of the spring is stiffer. Cutting the spring shorter would also effectively increase the stiffness. Cutting a coil off the tighter wound side would result in less of a drop compared to cutting a coil off a standard spring. It’s hard to say how much of a drop it would actually be without testing it.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tighter wound part of the spring is stiffer. Cutting the spring shorter would also effectively increase the stiffness. Cutting a coil off the tighter wound side would result in less of a drop compared to cutting a coil off a standard spring. It’s hard to say how much of a drop it would actually be without testing it.
agree, a gamble. When the wheels don't go back on, then what? lol Not enough description yet.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you measure the distance between each coil on the stiffer side of the new springs? Same measurement on the factory spring(uncompressed)? We might be able to get a very rough estimate of the drop from those two measurements unless the overall spring rate is vastly different between the two.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I will measure the new springs spacing and post it up tomorrow. The existing springs will probably have to wait until I get them out of the truck. Possible this weekend.

I'm not opposed to cutting then testing, then cutting more if needed.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some originals laying around I will try to measure them tomorrow they should be close enough for a comparison although I’m sure they have compressed a bit over the years.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is more the " Street Trucks " magazine forum question, those guys live for pushing mod limits.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m more concerned about the spindles pushing the wheels out…