Way-off-topic lowering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This should probably go in the "Stupid lowered questions" thread, but it's stupid enough it probably deserves its own thread.

Off-topic because it's a question about a Ford.
Stupid because it's a question about a tow truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Our latest addition is a 2023 F550 and while it's very similar to the 2021 F450 I've been driving, it does sit a TINY bit higher and that's not good. I work a lot of parking garages (almost 90% of the work I do) and overhead clearances in many of them are super tight. I have a few where I already rub slightly on the top of the light bar, and some spots I just can't go. It's not a good situation. Can't just remove the light bar either, as the next highest points on the cab are the black plastic pods that protect the GPS and XM antennas; they'll rub, too.

So with that said. It's a leaf sprung rear end that has what appear to be active rubber snubbers (basically a flexible bump stop).. and a coil sprung front (twin I beam), also with snubbers.

I'm thinking a mild drop shackle in the back. For the front, I guess I'll have to get more involved and think about cutting the springs just a tiny bit. I don't like the idea since it's a work truck; I've discussed it with my manager and his attitude about it is if I want it to happen I'm gonna have to make it happen.

If I can get ONE inch of drop overall - front and rear - that would be a reasonable outcome.

Any thoughts? Ready-made drop parts do NOT exist for these trucks.

Richard

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's quite the pickle!!! Lol
Go full bore and drop 5k on a Kelderman system for the rear!!! Lol
Maybe talk to a company that makes leaf springs and see if they can whip you up a set that maintains the load capacity you need and the drop you want.
Same with the front, check anyone who makes replacement or lift springs, see if they can help ya.
Or just call Bill at Extensive in Texas, I'm sure he would LOVE to take on your issue, maybe get famous on the TV!! LOL

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Go full bore and drop 5k on a Kelderman system for the rear!!! Lol
NOPE.. LOL.. not happening. I'm sure my back and all my bones would appreciate the smoother ride, but no, not happening.

Maybe talk to a company that makes leaf springs and see if they can whip you up a set that maintains the load capacity you need and the drop you want.
Same with the front, check anyone who makes replacement or lift springs, see if they can help ya.
Or just call Bill at Extensive in Texas, I'm sure he would LOVE to take on your issue, maybe get famous on the TV!! LOL
I only need a small amount of drop; the rear would be a lot more cost-effective to do shackles instead of completely replacing the leaf pack. The front coils I'd be happier if someone could provide some that would drop a specific amount but since nobody is marketing drop springs for this truck, it sounds like an expensive trial-and-error exercise.

Shorter tires?
Suck down winch?
No shorter tires available. 225/70/19.5 are the smallest 19.5's I'm aware of, and they're 32" tall. The other common size is 245/70/19.5 and those are 33"..
Suck down winch whut?

If you can’t lower it will you fight the municipalities to create taller parking garages?
Mmmmm no. They aren't gonna listen to me. Plus, these are all private properties, and they really don't understand they have invested millions in building parking structures that their towing service can't fit trucks into. ;) Back in the GMT455 3500HD days, those trucks fit better, but some places were still challenging. These new trucks are taller, by a lot.

Do you guys do your own up fitting? Maybe the tow rig maker/up fitter has something? Other wise I don’t see why a drop shackle and a cut coil would hurt anything. :shrug:
Nope; dedicated wrecker shop upfits the chassis. No way we could set aside the space and manpower to assemble, paint, plumb, wire, etc. these units. The best the builders can offer is already done - I talked them into leaving out the spacer under the light bar mounts. This makes the light bar almost level with the GPS/XM antenna pods on the roof, instead of sitting about 2" higher.

I'm pretty sure the drop shackle and coil cut is going to be the route, as the big boss isn't gonna be willing to spend a lot more on modifications for a truck that already cost him $100K+ all said and done. Shouldn't be too difficult to locate a shackle that might work since there's offerings out there for other trucks, just gotta get the spring width, then start looking at measurements to find a shackle that's about 1"-1.5" longer than OEM. Cutting the front coils might take some convincing of the boss.

Four link and firestones!!! PTO driven compressor! :Big Laugh:
Hah! Again, like the Kelderman setup, not gonna happen.

No factory blocks in the back to remove?
Nope. First thing I checked, can't see anything that resembles a spacer block I can pull. The pack sits on top of a welded mount on the axle tube. That little yellow item under the pack looks like possibly a shim or an insulator but it's not even the thickness of a single leaf.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard