Way-off-topic lowering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On some super fancy rock crawlers and such they sometimes have a deciated winch or two that pulls the axles up, which lowers the vehicle.

I thought this was probably what you meant but I've never seen it, that's pretty cool. Kind of like an on-demand adjustable limiting strap.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For sure do shackles in the rear and cut the front springs a few inches, re insert them till you get your desired drop.

Also stop talking to your boss about it, he will never notice the 1” drop. Just buy the stuff yourself and do the work yourself he isn’t going to help you or allow his mechanics to do it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
For sure do shackles in the rear and cut the front springs a few inches, re insert them till you get your desired drop.

Also stop talking to your boss about it, he will never notice the 1” drop. Just buy the stuff yourself and do the work yourself he isn’t going to help you or allow his mechanics to do it.

Cut coils will look cut upon inspection. I would not want to be caught and have to explain destruction of company property because I didnt have permission. If Richard has opened up a dialogue with the boss its probably for the best.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
F350 coils in the front and f350 leaf springs. Or take it to a spring shop and have them re work the rear springs, I’ve done it several times on f450/550 service trucks.

Another option is take that leaf pack apart, I can’t imagine it needing that much spring. My dad only ran 3/4ton chevys when he had his wrecker/repo trucks.

Off topic but can i get an AMEN for the f450/550 turning radius!?

Last edited:

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@618 Syndicate He could very well make his 550 leaf pack match the 450 pack. There will be a few more springs in the 550, probably why it’s a hair higher. Good idea

Our 550 Crain trucks sat higher than the 450 but by the time we loaded tools they would sag

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

No worries about the boss. My manager is on board 100%. He recently stopped driving after 20 years hitting switches and knows the challenges I face in the garages all too well. The difficulty is in getting the big boss (owner) to spend any significant amount on modifications because he's never been a driver and explaining the need to him is pointless. Shackles don't cost much, and a little spring cut is relatively simple. I even discussed that exact scenario with him (manager) yesterday - cut a little bit, try it, maybe cut a little more.

F350 coils in the front and f350 leaf springs. Or take it to a spring shop and have them re work the rear springs, I’ve done it several times on f450/550 service trucks.

Another option is take that leaf pack apart, I can’t imagine it needing that much spring. My dad only ran 3/4ton chevys when he had his wrecker/repo trucks.

Off topic but can i get an AMEN for the f450/550 turning radius!?
While not a bad idea, that'd be a no-go on spending the amount to get springs from another truck, or to pay a spring shop to work on them. The F350 stuff may be too light-duty, as well. And yes, these trucks really do need that much spring; you should see some of the crap we have to tow these days. The era of 3/4 ton repo style trucks is pretty much over. Even a 1 ton is challenged to go after everything you might need to hook. There's still dudes operating those but the'll have to turn down jobs based on what their trucks are capable of.

Turning radius, you say? It is impressive, and I swear it's the only saving grace these trucks have. Well, that and they're not Dodges.

Was gonna suggest F450 stuff, but I have no experience at all, so I'll jump on this bandwagon!
I've also noticed a few of our newer F450 trucks sit higher than my '21 F450. Maybe my springs are worn, but I don't think they're THAT worn. I've been running this truck in the same parking garages its whole service life and it hasn't gained any clearance in any of the really tight spots I go to. I still have to be really careful and I use those examples when training new guys. I'll stop at a particular spot and have them open the door and see how the light bar is within millimeters of rubbing on the overhead beam. "NEVER trust the clearance sign numbers" and "Just because the truck fits through one area of the garage doesn't mean it fits through ALL of it."

The ideas are great fellas and most of them would be candidates if it weren't for not getting authorization to spending a large amount on this project. I'm still leaning towards shackles and a little spring cut, but any other ideas are welcome. This has been an awesome quick brainstorming session and might prove useful if one was ever in the same position and actually had real money to spend. ;)

Richard

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you achieve the height reduction at the cab you require by lowering only one end of the truck? If it could be done with nothing more than different shackles at the rear...
Cutting front springs - only possible if they have a free tang at at least one end?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you achieve the height reduction at the cab you require by lowering only one end of the truck? If it could be done with nothing more than different shackles at the rear...
Cutting front springs - only possible if they have a free tang at at least one end?
I had the same thought initially but the two trucks I'm comparing are closer in height at the rear, than the front. The front is the bigger issue, IMO. I began this thought process before we acquired this truck, when comparing it to a 2022 F450 that was built to the same spec. With my 2021 F450 and the new 2022 F450 side by side, I could see the hood sat taller. I started dancing around on the trucks with a tape measure and while it's tricky to get accurate measurements that way without someone else helping, it was obvious the newer truck sat higher, mostly in the front. Now that we have the 2023 F550 on the ground at our shop, putting it next to my 2021 F450, it's pretty much the same setup - noticeably higher in the front, not as much in the rear.

Description says they will work on a 450/550, i think cutting the springs is a great idea. Or maybe you could score a set of 350 springs from a local off road or custom shop from a build. Maybe for free.
Yep, I've found some shackles from numerous sources that should work, I just need to get the specific measurements off the factory shackles and the aftermarket ones to be sure they're the correct width for the C&C leafs, and that the length of the shackle will get me the drop I'm looking for. When you tell these people specifically what you're working on, they just give you the blanket statement that they don't have anything for your truck.

Richard