Opinions on going with 2”or 3” drop springs with 2”spindles and my existing tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have in front of me the bell tech suburban flip kit
I just placed order for 2” DJM drop spindles and 3” coils
I have a day or less to call them back and make the split decision to change to a 2” drop coil . Looking for opinions on what to expect with normal suspension travel and travel while steering right and left at slow speeds ex: stop lights : turn lanes etc … Mostly steer clearance with full weight on ground and I don’t really wanna change tires I just got new
235/75/15 tires last month . I feel like the 5” drop settled should clear fender arch/lip at full left and right steer even with some suspension travel ?
If not I have a quick second left to call djm and swap to a 2” coil instead of the 3”
Anyone have a good idea if I’ll be fine in any scenario 5” front drop with 235/75/15’s

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have in front of me the bell tech suburban flip kit
I just placed order for 2” DJM drop spindles and 3” coils
I have a day or less to call them back and make the split decision to change to a 2” drop coil . Looking for opinions on what to expect with normal suspension travel and travel while steering right and left at slow speeds ex: stop lights : turn lanes etc … Mostly steer clearance with full weight on ground and I don’t really wanna change tires I just got new
235/75/15 tires last month . I feel like the 5” drop settled should clear fender arch/lip at full left and right steer even with some suspension travel ?
If not I have a quick second left to call djm and swap to a 2” coil instead of the 3”
Anyone have a good idea if I’ll be fine in any scenario 5” front drop with 235/75/15’s
You should be good to go as those are stock size tires on most of these 2wd trucks.

I forgot, you may have to roll the lips on the front fenders for clearance. But with arms you may get away without having to like spindle guys/girls where some of the wheels get pushed out a bit.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be good to go as those are stock size tires on most of these 2wd trucks.

I forgot, you may have to roll the lips on the front fenders for clearance. But with arms you may get away without having to like spindle guys/girls where some of the wheels get pushed out a bit.
I remember the tedious back n forth I had to deal with adjustments trimming lower fender corners etc when I did a 4” lift on my 2wd 98” Silverado. Believe it or not I would change tires size slightly and sell mine very likely before I rolled the fenders Not a fan of that on trucks .
But it should be ok . The djms spindles don’t push out the wheel they say so we will see.

I like to keep a classic look with the 15-17” max wheel size not into the 24” dub wheel look.
One other thought .. So If I go with a 17” new wheel setup and tires which I may down the line what would be a good known overall diameter to stick with on a 5” drop and 17” wheel and still be able to use tallest 17” tire as possible for a nice ride .

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember the tedious back n forth I had to deal with adjustments trimming lower fender corners etc when I did a 4” lift on my 2wd 98” Silverado. Believe it or not I would change tires size slightly and sell mine very likely before I rolled the fenders Not a fan of that on trucks .
But it should be ok . The djms spindles don’t push out the wheel they say so we will see.

I like to keep a classic look with the 15-17” max wheel size not into the 24” dub wheel look.
One other thought .. So If I go with a 17” new wheel setup and tires which I may down the line what would be a good known overall diameter to stick with on a 5” drop and 17” wheel and still be able to use tallest 17” tire as possible for a nice ride .
I have 17" wheels and the tires are 235/65/17, I MAY be off on the aspect ratio, but there are definitely 235. I went with that size to stay stock width and diameter.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 235 75 15 is going to be really tall for a 5in drop in the front.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 235 75 15 is going to be really tall for a 5in drop in the front.
Ok so .. what’ is a doable 15” tire size then ?
What am I going to be dealing with ?

I can buy new wheels if I choose I been wanting to but I wasn’ t sure what would be just right for a 5” drop with a 17” wheel