Cutting Progressive Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Buy the React spindle then, they don't push them out...
I thought the whole reason Belltech designed their drop spindles the way they did (the slight offset of the actual hub spindle area), was to reduce rubbing on the inside at full lock? Been a while since that discussion so my memory might be fuzzy on it. When we're dealing with extreme static drops (any amount enough for a tire to rub) you're limited one direction or the other in terms of turning the wheel..

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tighter coils are the softer region of the spring. If you cut that end it will stiffen the ride and you will have to cut more spring to get the desired height. Cutting the looser end will not change the the stiffness of the ride as much and you will have to cut less spring.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m more concerned about the spindles pushing the wheels out…

Buy the React spindle then, they don't push them out...

I bought the McGaughy 2" spindles for the the standard cab short bed trucks (smaller brakes). I had previously read that these are among the brands that do not push the wheels out. That was the main reason I did not go with the Belltech spindles.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some originals laying around I will try to measure them tomorrow they should be close enough for a comparison although I’m sure they have compressed a bit over the years.

Thanks!

I had a few minutes to measure up the MOOG springs (since they are in my office right now), and put the measurements into a photo. I didn't put it on there, but the overall height was about 15 1/8" (free standing).

You must be registered for see images attach

Any thoughts on this?

I really don't have a stock spring to judge by. My truck was lowered by someone else. What I think is a 4" drop in the front was all done with spring. It still has the stock GM spindles in it. This is why I'm going to the 2" drop spindles and want to drop another 2" with the spring cut.

(Edited to include the photo this time.... ugh)

Last edited:

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I cannot seem to find my old set of coils to measure. The garage is a mess! Judging by the looks of that picture, I’m gonna say cutting one coil off would net around 1.5-2” of drop. IMO I would cut half a coil and see what it does.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tighter coils are the softer region of the spring. If you cut that end it will stiffen the ride and you will have to cut more spring to get the desired height. Cutting the looser end will not change the the stiffness of the ride as much and you will have to cut less spring.
Sorry I cannot seem to find my old set of coils to measure. The garage is a mess! Judging by the looks of that picture, I’m gonna say cutting one coil off would net around 1.5-2” of drop. IMO I would cut half a coil and see what it does.

Awesome folks, this is more or less the information I was looking for, thank you!

I may go ahead and cut the ends that are further spaced (according to MOOG's instructions that is the bottom), starting with 1 coil and see where it lands the drop. Honestly, I would like it to be at the same height it is now with the spring only drop. I'm going for more suspension travel and less camber issues with the changes.

Honestly, today I have also contemplated just returning these MOOG springs while I still can and get some 2" drop specific springs that I "shouldn't" have to modify.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the whole reason Belltech designed their drop spindles the way they did (the slight offset of the actual hub spindle area), was to reduce rubbing on the inside at full lock? Been a while since that discussion so my memory might be fuzzy on it. When we're dealing with extreme static drops (any amount enough for a tire to rub) you're limited one direction or the other in terms of turning the wheel..

Richard
Done several trucks with the react spindle an they don't rub anywhere (except the inner on bumps lol).

I'm not sure the reasoning on why all the spindles push the wheels out some, but for the obs trucks the react is the only one I'm aware of that maintains stock track width. All the others push them out some. I think belltech is the most at nearly 1/2" per side.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I was able to return the MOOG springs and I ordered the 2" drop springs, today. Decided it was well worth the extra $15 not to have to cut/test and possible cut more and test...

Thanks for all of the input on this topic folks!