Winter Weight For Traction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Snow tyres work - they might not look like they should but they do. They are phenomenal. They are also phenomenally expensive here (UK) in the size (17'') needed for my C2500 Suburban. My choice then is an all terrain tyre - but I don't want something too 'clawy' that makes a racket on bare tarmac, consumes fuel, and is otherwise sub-optimal on bare roads. What's the mildest AT tyre that will still work on snow? Seeing as this is about the tread pattern, pics might help. I've included a pic of a tyre I'm considering - does it look like it will cope with snow?

You must be registered for see images attach

I recommend you take a look at Nokian tires. I know, I know, a Finn recommending a Finnish product, but let me tell ya, winter tires from a land of ice and snow usually have to be at least halfway decent to even survive out here... Just make sure they're the actual Finnish versions, not the ones made in the USSR, as those tend to... offer a little less performance... Anyhow, while I don't have personal experience with the Rotiiva AT+ models, I am planning on getting those for my next set of allyear tires. I do have proper studded Nokias tho for when we get an actual winter here in the south, but for example last winter I didn't have to put those on, went with my old worn M+S Hankooks all year...

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I used to think all a fella needed was a rear drive vehicle with posi and good weight distribution along with good tires for winter drivability. Up until I got my '89 K1500 (see sig for all deetz), my '88 TC was the best thing I'd ever driven in the winter. I foolishly drove it daily for two years, bought a set of steelies & had winter tires put on 'em- those really helped! Before that, it was my 2wd Ranger with 300lbs of sand in the back, centered over the axle. Both have since been edged out by the K1500, which is a winner by absolutely no contest whatsoever. I'm on the fence about posi, but the idea of the govlock appeals to me as they aren't supposed to lock beyond 15mph. What I've found with posi is that while they're great in 2wd for starting out, a feller has to be very careful negotiating turns or lane changes or that ass might just step away and right away. Stepping to my K1500, it's a one wheel peeler. But, in 4 wheel in order for it to fire the one rear wheel, it's gotta fire a front too. Through experimentation I've found as long as I'm not on pure ice and/or manage my right foot appropriately, I'll have traction at all four wheels under acceleration. Helps with braking too. I have to admit, I love being able to slingshot away from stoplights compared to the people next to me. I only use 4x4 if the roads are slick, do not want to risk grenading my transfercase or trans. Exceptions are if I'm going straight for awhile but there is a mix of pavement and snow. Because in 2wd, my truck absolutely sucks in the snow. So from all that verbage comes the summary & my opinion:

4x4 with good tires > 2wd anything

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recommend you take a look at Nokian tires. I know, I know, a Finn recommending a Finnish product, but let me tell ya, winter tires from a land of ice and snow usually have to be at least halfway decent to even survive out here... Just make sure they're the actual Finnish versions, not the ones made in the USSR, as those tend to... offer a little less performance... Anyhow, while I don't have personal experience with the Rotiiva AT+ models, I am planning on getting those for my next set of allyear tires. I do have proper studded Nokias tho for when we get an actual winter here in the south, but for example last winter I didn't have to put those on, went with my old worn M+S Hankooks all year...

Looked for them and can't find in UK. Plenty other 'winter' Nokians but the prices for 'winter' tyres here are on the high side.
What I see locally is 4WDs on AT tyres and with 4WD they can romp through any snow. I don't need such extreme capability so with 2WD and a G80 I'm hoping ATs will work for me. Currently it is on pure street tyres and they are never at their best on snow.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get ya, and I have made it halfway decent out here with a 2wd, G80 and poor AT tires, and while it is definitely manageable in the snow, the ice gets a little tricky, especially with no weight on the bed. But like I said, have managed so far. Definitely gonna stuff the studded ones on this week tho as we're supposed to take a few journeys in the coming weeks, the other being headed to lapland, where the AT's would work as well since there's going to be more snow than ice, but better safe than sorry.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truth is nothing works on ice except for studs and chains. The former we aren't allowed (and bare roads kill them anyway) and chains when the links are freezing stiff while I'm trying to fit them - don't mind if I don't.
There are times I wish it was more like Scandinavian countries here - untreated roads and not the mix we have.
Suburbans have a lot of weight over the rear axle and additionally I have a heavy steel LPG tank which I keep brimmed so not so bad as a pick-up. So far it seems OK keeping moving but it's the getting stuck bit when it digs in that spooks me. That and when it starts to slewing when reversing uphill when the G80 spins up both wheels and there's nothing to stop the back end from falling down the hill.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped to the stockers on my Tahoe, can’t believe the difference. Dunno even know the brand, but didn’t spin a tire out of my driveway!!! The other tires I’d have to spin to 60 to burn thru lol....

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truth is nothing works on ice except for studs and chains. The former we aren't allowed (and bare roads kill them anyway) and chains when the links are freezing stiff while I'm trying to fit them - don't mind if I don't.
There are times I wish it was more like Scandinavian countries here - untreated roads and not the mix we have.
Suburbans have a lot of weight over the rear axle and additionally I have a heavy steel LPG tank which I keep brimmed so not so bad as a pick-up. So far it seems OK keeping moving but it's the getting stuck bit when it digs in that spooks me. That and when it starts to slewing when reversing uphill when the G80 spins up both wheels and there's nothing to stop the back end from falling down the hill.
Agree with everything you said. Snow tires are a gimmick. I would only consider them where studs aren’t allowed. You need metal to penetrate ice.

I also strongly agree about treated roads. I hate them. Only makes for a slushy mess and a false sense of security. I’ll take a nice packed road any day.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree with everything you said. Snow tires are a gimmick. I would only consider them where studs aren’t allowed. You need metal to penetrate ice.

They are snow tyres - not ice tyres. On snow they are phenomenal. It's impossible just looking at them to believe what they are capable of in snow. Driving on them for the first time is a revelation.