Transmission acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I need help, my 96 Chevy 1500 has been acting weird ever since I got off work Monday morning. I turn the truck on, let it warm up for 10 minutes, put it in drive. It was weird when I put it in drive because the whole truck buckled as soon as I put it in drive. Next thing you know the truck accelerates really slow not switching to 2nd gear, 3rd or 4th, just stays in first. Gonna try to figure this out but if it’s something that’s gonna end up an expensive repair bill the project might end up dead in the water

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Fluid level where it should be? What does the fluid look like? Bright clear red or dark, dirty , stinky, burnt?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
does your speedometer work when its in first?

tough to tell what the issue is but heres things to look at

-fluid color
-speedometer and tach function
-throttle position data
-do you have fluid pressure

could lead you to an electrical issue or an actual trans issue

if its electrical my uneducated thoughts are the trans needs to see vss and engine rpm to shift, both read off the same distributor, crank sensor and vss sensor at the trans, transfercase between gauges and ecm.

if its mechanical burnt fluid indicates clutches lost, odd because usually youll loose full packs with time, but 1st would accelerate the same unless its slipping. however pump failure could be a big culprit, broken/stripped drum, shell, planetary all possible.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
does your speedometer work when its in first?

tough to tell what the issue is but heres things to look at

-fluid color
-speedometer and tach function
-throttle position data
-do you have fluid pressure

could lead you to an electrical issue or an actual trans issue

if its electrical my uneducated thoughts are the trans needs to see vss and engine rpm to shift, both read off the same distributor, crank sensor and vss sensor at the trans, transfercase between gauges and ecm.

if its mechanical burnt fluid indicates clutches lost, odd because usually youll loose full packs with time, but 1st would accelerate the same unless its slipping. however pump failure could be a big culprit, broken/stripped drum, shell, planetary all possible.
The speedometer, tach, everything goes dead as soon as I put it in drive and the truck buckles forward. Throttle response is worst than a 4 cylinder Tacoma (I own one) I checked the fluid right now since I just got off work and it looks dark? Has a reddish tint but can barely tell.
You must be registered for see images attach

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For now I’m gonna have to drive my other truck because I don’t want to risk the Chevy truck stranding me in the middle of the freeway. I just got the new muffler installed a while ago and now I can’t enjoy it anymore :(

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
so if tach and speedo go dead you got big issues and your definitely not gonna have a working trans. i would chase that down before jumping to a mechanical trans issue. if you continue to try to drive it youll likely have a problem though but this sounds electrical.

new muffler awhile ago? how long is awhile?

the common knowledge is to disconnect the vehicles battery when welding to avoid frying something, now i have not but also havent had problems, but i also know the risk of when im welding with the battery connected ill be mad if something fries but its my own dumb fault. could that have any relevance here?

also, fluid looks fine IMO no floatys no shimmers, its regular used dex6 or dex/merc dark

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn’t hurt to drop pan, change filter and then loosen transmission line at radiator and do a fluid exchange. Any idea when that was done last?

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so if tach and speedo go dead you got big issues and your definitely not gonna have a working trans. i would chase that down before jumping to a mechanical trans issue. if you continue to try to drive it youll likely have a problem though but this sounds electrical.

new muffler awhile ago? how long is awhile?

the common knowledge is to disconnect the vehicles battery when welding to avoid frying something, now i have not but also havent had problems, but i also know the risk of when im welding with the battery connected ill be mad if something fries but its my own dumb fault. could that have any relevance here?

also, fluid looks fine IMO no floatys no shimmers, its regular used dex6 or dex/merc dark
So the muffler was welded in last week on Wednesday. Everything was running well. Saturday I took the truck to get its electrical system dealt with. Taillights, headlights wouldn’t work properly so that issue got fixed. The truck was running extremely well all weekend until I got off work Monday morning. I turned the truck on and waited for it to warm up. Put it in drive and that’s when it buckled forward extremely hard. The light turned green and tapped the gas and that’s when I thought something wasn’t right because the truck was going 40mph for a while and didn’t shift to the next gear, stayed in first. Had to run some errands when I woke up and the truck still stayed in first. Right now I left it parked outside until I figure something out. Guess I’m gonna have to dust off the Tacoma and continue to daily that one.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wouldn’t hurt to drop pan, change filter and then loosen transmission line at radiator and do a fluid exchange. Any idea when that was done last?
I’m not exactly mechanically skilled, I was surprised I did the oil change on my Tacoma by myself. I’d rather not touch the transmission until otherwise.