Brakes acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my 96 Chevy 1500 recently started acting weird. I drove it around last week and everything was fine, although I’m having electrical issues again but I’ll get that fixed. Right now my brakes are trying to kill me! I have to press my foot all the way down for the truck to stop slowly and there have been times where the truck almost couldn’t brake in time I stopped driving it at the moment until I figure out what’s up with it? Any idea of what could be wrong with it?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You hearing a whoooshing sound when braking?

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never mind, checked it…all the brake fluid except the reservoir is empty. How? I don’t know, I hate this cursed farm truck.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Rusted brake hard line started leaking or rotted rubber line burst, pretty common. Depending on how rusty everything is I usually just plan on replacing everything from the master cylinder out, its not worth it trying to do a butt splice on a rusty hard line or only replacing 1 rubber line or only 1 wheel cylinder, etc.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not exactly sure if there is a leak or what caused the leak, the master cylinder has no rust, could be a rubber line. I just got off my shift so I’m gonna take a look at some things later today.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never mind, checked it…all the brake fluid except the reservoir is empty. How? I don’t know, I hate this cursed farm truck.
Bro, you're driving a truck that's at least 25 years old. Things will wear out, rust, corrode, and break. If you hate that, you need to start looking for something else to drive.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not exactly sure if there is a leak or what caused the leak, the master cylinder has no rust, could be a rubber line. I just got off my shift so I’m gonna take a look at some things later today.
There's definitely a leak. Brakes are a closed system, the only way fluid can escape is because it's leaking. Find out where.