Weird starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

1999 Suburban with a weird starting issue yesterday. Drove to Costco, parked, came back and tried to start. All dash lights came on appropriately, stereo (aftermarket with large screen) came on, but when turning the key to "start", silence. No starter solenoid click, no crank at all. All same dash lights still stayed on. I don't recall if the security light ever turned off though. Tried several times, hooked up my jump starter just in case, same thing. Tried again with jumpstarter connected, and it started. Went back into costco, grabbed a new battery. Since I didn't have tools with me I figured I'd jump it again and drive home, but it started without issues. Drove home without issue. Let it sit for a while as I had stuff to do, went out to change battery and first tried to start off the old one...started up like nothing happened. Changed the battery anyway. Long story short, I don't think it's the battery. Starter is new from about a year ago, alternator is new and upgraded with the higher amperage one from the newer trucks, no charging issues at all. Drives absolutely fine. Is it a security problem? Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine, he said likely bad starter. It started right up when it cooled down. Sucks that it's a new Delco starter.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loose connections, not just the battery.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Passlock security cuts power to the fuel injectors, it doesn't prevent the starter from cranking. I don't think this is a Passlock issue.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Passlock security cuts power to the fuel injectors, it doesn't prevent the starter from cranking. I don't think this is a Passlock issue.
Thank you, that's good to know. I wasn't sure how that system works.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, batteries can fail intermittently. I dealt with a similar failure in my dad's '06 3500 recently and it turned out to be exactly that. The starter also tested bad (drawing too much current), we believe that may have contributed to the battery failure. Replaced both battery and starter, no more issues.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, batteries can fail intermittently. I dealt with a similar failure in my dad's '06 3500 recently and it turned out to be exactly that. The starter also tested bad (drawing too much current), we believe that may have contributed to the battery failure. Replaced both battery and starter, no more issues.
Thanks, I did replace the battery just in case, although the voltage on the old battery measured 12.5V. Had the same failure today on thr new battery. The only thing that got it runing again was just waiting to cool. And it started up like nothing ever happened. Have a new starter on the way.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, batteries can fail intermittently

If I see the headlights / interior lights / dash lights / other electrical components “stay lit” when I turn the key to “start”, I assume it’s not the battery.

Similarly, if everything goes dim / dead, or the starter solenoid chatters, then I look for a weak / failing battery or a poor connection / wire.