Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the trans because it was slipping alot and the if it did shift it would shift realy hard and jolt the truck. Now its not slipping and when it does shift it shifts smoothly
Did you test, check or inspect the VSS?

Do you know how to test it using a multimeter?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled my vss out to test but how would i rotate the vss. Im pretty sure it is a magnet. Is it possible to
You dont pull it out to test it.

Watch my video on testing speed sensors. The "test subject" is a 4L80E but the principles are the same for your VSS. Skip to about 7 min in...To do this you need your truck up on all four jack stands (or at least the rear wheels with the fronts chocked.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

adamj24

Reaction score
You dont pull it out to test it.

Watch my video on testing speed sensors. The "test subject" is a 4L80E but the principles are the same for your VSS. Skip to about 7 min in...To do this you need your truck up on all four jack stands (or at least the rear wheels with the fronts chocked.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I tested it and i never got a reading. But if my vss was bad wouldent my Speedometer not work.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tested it and i never got a reading. But if my vss was bad wouldent my Speedometer not work.
You have no voltage at all when spinning the drive shaft and leads connected to the VSS? Is your speedometer in the dash showing accurate road speeds when compared to a GPS sourced read-out?

adamj24

Reaction score
You have no voltage at all when spinning the drive shaft and leads connected to the VSS? Is your speedometer in the dash showing accurate road speeds when compared to a GPS sourced read-out?
I have no voltage at all when drive shaft is spinning. And the speedometer is mabey about 5mph off

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no voltage at all when drive shaft is spinning. And the speedometer is mabey about 5mph off
5mph off is materially off, should be within a mph or two of GPS. Did you watch the above vid? If so, you recall seeing my volt meter register some voltage when i was spinning the output shaft..you should be seeing something other than zero. Make sure your leads are on the two pins on the speed sensor's plug. If so and you have nothing, id put another speed sensor in (OEM ONLY - NO AFTERMARKET).