Curious if anyone else had this issue....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I don't think you can be a mechanic unless you have a couple of "dammit" moments. And you've drawn blood wrenching on a project, and dropped a few tools where a magnet on a stick was required to retrieve them.....(10mm socket, I'm talking about you LoL).
Done all them.... Call it busting my bones..

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as luck would have it... I went and started the truck this afternoon. Sat and idled to warm up... Went to leave, stuck in Park again. Shut it off,started it, shifted right into gear.... Seems the longer you let it idle in Park, the more prone it is to get stuck in Park....

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So an update thus far is that it's not electrical as one pointed out...That'd be Scooterwrench.... Thank you.... After further investigating and talking with a guy who worked at GM stated it's in the rack... So it's actually a mechanical issue... I checked on the part, discontinued....

I'll post a link of the part... Today it started shifting just fine after I gave the shifter level a few good tugs and shoves or however you want to call it.... I know where another column is for 200.00 so after cold weather, I'll deal with it...

What I'm told is that from 93? to 94 is notorious for it...So for the time being, we'll deal with it until weather breaks or it breaks completely and go get another column...
I'd like to thank everyone who replied and liked this post....

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My apologies ify reply is redundant but I didn't read all the replies.

I have a similar problem.

What happened is last year some crackhead broke into my truck tried to break the ignition lock and messed it up. I had to replace the ignition lock.

Ever since if I tilt the steering wheel up I can't moove the lever to put it in gear. When u tilt it just one notch down it works fine. Probably something got messed up when the guy was trying to break the lock?

Maybe you have something similar happening?

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My apologies ify reply is redundant but I didn't read all the replies.

I have a similar problem.

What happened is last year some crackhead broke into my truck tried to break the ignition lock and messed it up. I had to replace the ignition lock.

Ever since if I tilt the steering wheel up I can't moove the lever to put it in gear. When u tilt it just one notch down it works fine. Probably something got messed up when the guy was trying to break the lock?

Maybe you have something similar happening?
Yup... Mine does the same... It'll move if you shut it off then start it back up and shift to neutral before tilting....