Curious if anyone else had this issue....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1994 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 with 4L60E transmission... What I have going on is that when I cold start my truck, it shifts fine from Park to Reverse and or Drive with no issues... It shifts perfectly fine while driving... I would stop and leave it running and place it in Park and get out... Or check phone or whatever.... I'd go to shift into Drive, it's stuck... I'd shut it off, start it up, shifts right out of Park like nothings wrong... I sprayed some lubricant on the linkage, however it did it again today.... This now happens about 75 % of the time I place it in Park while running...
Worn rubber bushings maybe ? Any ideas would be appreciated....

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1994 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 with 4L60E transmission... What I have going on is that when I cold start my truck, it shifts fine from Park to Reverse and or Drive with no issues... It shifts perfectly fine while driving... I would stop and leave it running and place it in Park and get out... Or check phone or whatever.... I'd go to shift into Drive, it's stuck... I'd shut it off, start it up, shifts right out of Park like nothings wrong... I sprayed some lubricant on the linkage, however it did it again today.... This now happens about 75 % of the time I place it in Park while running...
Worn rubber bushings maybe ? Any ideas would be appreciated....
What exactly is getting stuck? Is it your column shifter itself or does the shifter work fine but when you put the vehicle in Drive, it feels like it's locked up and won't move then when you either power cycle or simply shift into another range (ie Reverse or Neutral) then back to Drive, it returns to normal function, goes into gear and you're able to drive off?

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly is getting stuck? Is it your column shifter itself or does the shifter work fine but when you put the vehicle in Drive, it feels like it's locked up and won't move then when you either power cycle or simply shift into another range (ie Reverse or Neutral) then back to Drive, it returns to normal function, goes into gear and you're able to drive off?
The column shifter level.... Exactly correct.... I put the gearshift handle into park while running... Go to pull down from park to either reverse or drive and it wont shift out of park until you turn the engine off then restart it....Before all this, I had the transmission removed twice... One when I needed it rebuilt to only have the guy mess it up more... I had a transmission shop do the work and everything is fine until about 2 weeks ago it started hanging up when putting into park leaving it running... In order to shift from park, needed to shut it off, re-start and it'll go right into gear.... I don't need to apply the brake nor have I ever had too when shifting from park to drive or reverse....

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The column shifter level.... Exactly correct.... I put the gearshift handle into park while running... Go to pull down from park to either reverse or drive and it wont shift out of park until you turn the engine off then restart it....Before all this, I had the transmission removed twice... One when I needed it rebuilt to only have the guy mess it up more... I had a transmission shop do the work and everything is fine until about 2 weeks ago it started hanging up when putting into park leaving it running... In order to shift from park, needed to shut it off, re-start and it'll go right into gear.... I don't need to apply the brake nor have I ever had too when shifting from park to drive or reverse....
So once you get the shifter into the range you want (Drive, Neutral, Reverse, etc) from Park, the transmission behaves normally? In other words, the beginning and end of the problem is getting the column shifter to move - is that correct?

No transmission issues once you're able to shift into 'Drive' or 'Reverse'?

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So once you get the shifter into the range you want (Drive, Neutral, Reverse, etc) from Park, the transmission behaves normally? In other words, the beginning and end of the problem is getting the column shifter to move - is that correct?

No transmission issues once you're able to shift into 'Drive' or 'Reverse'?
Yup.... No issue with the shifting of the transmission.... Downshifts just fine... No lags, no shuddering, clattering or anything... I go out , start it up, shift into whatever gear and all is good... I pull off to the side leaving it running and place in park, won't shift out of park until you recycle the key by shutting it off then re-starting and will drop right in gear.... One thing I'll add is that I've never had to apply the brake to shift out of park since having it... When it hangs up, I apply the brake but still won't shift out of park until you recycle the key by shutting it off then re-starting....

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup.... No issue with the shifting of the transmission.... Downshifts just fine... No lags, no shuddering, clattering or anything... I go out , start it up, shift into whatever gear and all is good... I pull off to the side leaving it running and place in park, won't shift out of park until you recycle the key by shutting it off then re-starting and will drop right in gear.... One thing I'll add is that I've never had to apply the brake to shift out of park since having it... When it hangs up, I apply the brake but still won't shift out of park until you recycle the key by shutting it off then re-starting....
That may be ignition switch or perhaps something else in the ignition area of the steering column or worn key/lock cylinder - have you tested or checked the IS or other parts of the column?

I dont think you have any internal transmission issues; you'd have drivability symptoms if so...

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That may be ignition switch or perhaps something else in the ignition area of the steering column or worn key/lock cylinder - have you tested or checked the IS or other parts of the column?

I dont think you have any internal transmission issues; you'd have drivability symptoms if so...
Turn signal works, cruise control works, tilt steering works, E-flashers work... The ignition switch was replaced last year.....I do have a non working high beam switch.. Just moves back and forth when you go to click for high beams.... I'm leaning towards the internals are bad and thinking the IS possibly junk....

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn signal works, cruise control works, tilt steering works, E-flashers work... The ignition switch was replaced last year.....I do have a non working high beam switch.. Just moves back and forth when you go to click for high beams.... I'm leaning towards the internals are bad and thinking the IS possibly junk....
You can test your theory very cheaply and fairly reliably by going to a pick and pull and yanking out a couple switches just like yours...they shouldnt cost more than a few bucks each and will be OEM (I believe Delphi made them in that era). You should also be able to find replacements/spares for other sensors, switches there as well. You want to pull from a vehicle with no busted out or open windows, as the parts inside would have been protected from the elements...