Transmission linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidwell4710

Reaction score
I have a 98 silverado 1500 4x4, 5.7 engine with the 4l60e transmission. I got the truck with the gear shifter arm broken off and a bad starter. I had it brought home on a flatbed wrecker. To get it in neutral, we just used the cable that was on the broken shift mechanism and it shifted that way pretty good. I replaced the gear shift mechanism and truck (not running) shifted through the gears just fine. I put a starter on it today and got it running pretty good. I was going to run it down the road and it would not shift out of park. I got under the truck and took the linkage cable off the arm on the tranny. I wanted to see if i could move the shift arm on the transmission itself. Its stuck? I cannot move the lever at all. Any ideas what the problem could be?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 silverado 1500 4x4, 5.7 engine with the 4l60e transmission. I got the truck with the gear shifter arm broken off and a bad starter. I had it brought home on a flatbed wrecker. To get it in neutral, we just used the cable that was on the broken shift mechanism and it shifted that way pretty good. I replaced the gear shift mechanism and truck (not running) shifted through the gears just fine. I put a starter on it today and got it running pretty good. I was going to run it down the road and it would not shift out of park. I got under the truck and took the linkage cable off the arm on the tranny. I wanted to see if i could move the shift arm on the transmission itself. Its stuck? I cannot move the lever at all. Any ideas what the problem could be?
is the BTSI operable? BTSI=Brake Transmission(or Transaxle in FWD car) Safety Interlock

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The usual reason for not being able to get the 1995-up trucks out of park is the BTSI (brake-to-shift interlock) solenoid has gone bad. These trucks require you to press the brake pedal to get them out of park. Sometimes it's also a bad brake light switch. The workaround is to leave the key switch off, but in the unlocked position, and put your foot on the brake and shift to neutral. Then you can start the truck and shift to gear. Alternately you can just pop the BTSI off the shift linkage; it's the black plastic device snapped onto it with the 2-wire connector.

However, it sounds like you've removed the shift cable at the transmission end and can't move the arm coming out of the transmission. That's not a common issue. Is the truck on a slope at all that would put the driveline in a bind? You've tried moving the arm both directions?

Richard

tidwell4710

Reaction score
It is on a slight incline. Not bad at all though. When the truck was unloaded,in neutral, we scotched the wheels. I fixed the shift arm mechanism. Run it through the gears and put it in park. When i put the starter on today & i got it running, got everything ready so i could go down the road & see how it shifts, i gad to kick the scotch out as it had been that way since the truck was put there. When it came out, it did roll a little. Dam. I wonder if its just in a bind atm. I will report back shortly.

tidwell4710

Reaction score
Someotherguy, well. I hooked my other truck to it and pulled it back a touch to get it out of any bind it may have been in. No change. My wife got in the truck & held the brake with the key on. I crawled back under and tried to move the lever on the side of tranny, with the linkage disconnected. It will rock back & forth. Feels like it would like to slide in gear but wont budge. I put a crecent on the lever to try to shift it bye hand.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someotherguy, well. I hooked my other truck to it and pulled it back a touch to get it out of any bind it may have been in. No change. My wife got in the truck & held the brake with the key on. I crawled back under and tried to move the lever on the side of tranny, with the linkage disconnected. It will rock back & forth. Feels like it would like to slide in gear but wont budge. I put a crecent on the lever to try to shift it bye hand.
Put the vehicle up on all four jack stands. Drop the pan then remove the two 13mm bolts holding the parking pawl guide plate on. Check the pawl's conditon, see if it's broke or if something else is broke and wedged between the pawl and guide plate.

Once that guideplate is off, the pwal will disengage and you'll be able to spin the drive shaft as though it were in neutral...