700r4 4x4 transmission problems!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mario572

Reaction score
So, I guess what im really after is an answer…
Given the current setup and circumstances of the pickup, which option will be easier, cheaper and make the most sense to pursue and tackle?

Current setup: 93 k1500 tbi 350, 700r4. Is it more sensible to rebuild the 700r4, or find a 4l60e to put back in it? And if the latter, what all will I need to make said 4l60e work with my current 93 tbi 350?

Thanks in advance

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I guess what im really after is an answer…
Given the current setup and circumstances of the pickup, which option will be easier, cheaper and make the most sense to pursue and tackle?

Current setup: 93 k1500 tbi 350, 700r4. Is it more sensible to rebuild the 700r4, or find a 4l60e to put back in it? And if the latter, what all will I need to make said 4l60e work with my current 93 tbi 350?

Thanks in advance
Find a 4L60E and PCM, if you need one. Assuming vehicle the wiring harness is intact and undamaged, you just need a 1993 PCM for that truck along with a 93 or 94 4L60E. If you need a vehicle wirijg harness, you can usually acquire them online or even at local pick-n-pulls...

That's the correct way to fix the problem.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does this truck even run if there's no computer?

Carb and distributor swap? That'd be a total disaster.
Im confused. Did it have a 4l60 and now it has a 700r4.
Could a 93 have a 700r4?
Does it have a 700r4 and he wants to put a 4l60e back into it?
Did it come with a 4l60 but it somehow runs with a 700r4?
Some part of this doesnt make any sense.
Could he have one of those super rare early 4l60 NOT "E" transmissions that are stlill marked as a 700r4?.
My first thougjt was this guy didnt have any idea what he was talking about.
My second idea was that on those early trucks when gm built them from whatever was in the parts bin you can have a real hard time if you only go off of the rpo codes based on whatever. you find on the internet.
When you look at RPO codes especially when you look at results from forumns you have to understand that GM reuses RPO codes over and over.
You have to start with the platform.
The best example of this is the G80 rpo.
G80 is the RPO for any type of traction control diff.
But a G80 on a truck is not the same as a G80 on a car.
They are both a type of traction control diff but they are not even remotely the same thing.
A G80 on a camaro or a firebird needs a friction additive in the gear oil.
A G80 on a truck is a Govlock and you will smoke it if you put a friction additive in it.
When you go online and try to decode the RPO for your truck you need to make sure that you are looking at the RPO for your truck and for your year of truck.
Pretty much everything you see on a camaro or firebird site is
big damn nonsense
The best thing you can do for yourself.
The fastest way and the best way to figure out to fix your truck and maybe yourself is to stay right here.
Its all about cars and trucks and all of the things that car guys do.
But there is a real soul from these people.
Dont miss out on that part of it.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could a 93 have a 700r4?
Vettes, F-bodies, Caprice and one or two others had a 93 700R4 which had a couple key differences compared to the 88-92 700s. To my knowledge, no med duty (1/2 ton) truck chassis received a 700R4 in 1993.

His truck should have a 4L60E and seems as though he has the vehicle harness with intact large, round connector for the 4L60E but he can confirm or deny.

Also, there's nothing rare about a "4L60" as its just a naming convention change that GM made in 1990 or 91 for all of its transmissions. For example, the TH400was redesignated as the "3L80" in 1990.

mario572

Reaction score
Vettes, F-bodies, Caprice and one or two others had a 93 700R4 which had a couple key differences compared to the 88-92 700s. To my knowledge, no med duty (1/2 ton) truck chassis received a 700R4 in 1993.

His truck should have a 4L60E and seems as though he has the vehicle harness with intact large, round connector for the 4L60E but he can confirm or deny.

Also, there's nothing rare about a "4L60" as its just a naming convention change that GM made in 1990 or 91 for all of its transmissions. For example, the TH400was redesignated as the "3L80" in 1990.
yes everything is still there. Truck runs good still do this day. I have the original transmission on its way. I also checked where my computer sits, someone tried messing with it but by all means it’s the same original computer manufactured by General Motors in Canada.

mario572

Reaction score
also it’s throwing codes for the transmission basically its looking for it. one of the codes we’re I don’t have the connector plug for the transmission (original) but I have it parked until trans gets here, btw it’s coming out of a 93 suburban 4wd. I’m going to post pictures of the truck on here. Also the original t-case is in it still