Th400 with overdrive tv overdrive or upgraded 700r4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyman33

Reaction score
I have a 1993 k1500 full size blazer and I’m trying to figure out what to direction to go with for my trans. I would like some input from some of u guys that may have run these combos. It’s been solid axle swapped currently with a dana44/corporate 14 sf but I plan to switch it to a D60/ff. I already have crossover steer. I have the original 4l60 trans but I also have a 700r4 k case but both need rebuilt. I’m wondering if I would be better off rebuilding my 700r4 and upgrading it or getting a th400 and a gear vendor’s overdrive unit. I plan to use it as a dual purpose rig. Winter driving and weekend off-roading/occasional competition mud bog once I get a chance to rebuild and beef up the engine a little. 5.7 tbi btw.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpeg
    IMG_0569.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0571.jpeg
    IMG_0571.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    417.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0573.jpeg
    IMG_0573.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 8

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gearvendors unit is really pricey. Have you considered a 4L80E instead?

Your '93 should already have a 4L60E (not a 700R4, unless you've gone to an older transmission) but it won't stand up to any amount of abuse no matter how much you upgrade it.

Richard

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1993 k1500 full size blazer and I’m trying to figure out what to direction to go with for my trans. I would like some input from some of u guys that may have run these combos. It’s been solid axle swapped currently with a dana44/corporate 14 sf but I plan to switch it to a D60/ff. I already have crossover steer. I have the original 4l60 trans but I also have a 700r4 k case but both need rebuilt. I’m wondering if I would be better off rebuilding my 700r4 and upgrading it or getting a th400 and a gear vendor’s overdrive unit. I plan to use it as a dual purpose rig. Winter driving and weekend off-roading/occasional competition mud bog once I get a chance to rebuild and beef up the engine a little. 5.7 tbi btw.
Your choices are to rebuild the 4L60E with the requisite updates, corrections and upgrades. The 700R4 can be sold to recoup some costs as they are getting harder to find and cores are starting to fetch decent money.

You can swap to a 4L80E which should only require existing harness modification or purchase of an aftermarket adaptor harness plus a segment swap for your PCM (assuming those are available for OBD1 vehicles). Someone who has experience working with HP Tuners on these swaps can confirm/deny/clarify.

If you're thinking to get serious about mud-bogging, I'd forget the 4L60E and swap to a 97+ 4L80E. Do a few choice mods to it (dual feed direct clutch, rollerize rear case, upgraded boost valve and other lube/hydraulic improvements, etc).

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but don't think you can run a Gear Vendors OD and run a t-case. I never saw one, so don't know exactly what's involved. I know the OD unit goes on the back/tail housing of the trans, right where the t-case adaptor goes. My vote is the 4l80 as well, cheaper and easier to find. Make sure you get the right axle and t-case to match each other....

Chevyman33

Reaction score
Gearvendors unit is really pricey. Have you considered a 4L80E instead?

Your '93 should already have a 4L60E (not a 700R4, unless you've gone to an older transmission) but it won't stand up to any amount of abuse no matter how much you upgrade it.

Richard
It had the 4l60 it was burnt up when I got it and I got a used 700r from a buddy and put in it. I still have the 4l60 that came out of it also but it needs rebuilt to but it’s the first year of the 4l60s so it’s basically the same thing as the 700r.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It had the 4l60 it was burnt up when I got it and I got a used 700r from a buddy and put in it. I still have the 4l60 that came out of it also but it needs rebuilt to but it’s the first year of the 4l60s so it’s basically the same thing as the 700r.
The 700R4 and 4L60E case internals architecture is largely the same but the electro-mechancial control strategies and associated parts (valve body, spacer plate, electronics/electrical and extent of computer control) are vastly different between the two transmissions. So to say it's basically the same is not quite accurate.

You are better off running a 4L80E as the 80 can be made to work, you'll have overdrive for when you want to take it on the highway but its much stronger and will stand up to hard off-road HD use relative to the 4L60E.