89 700r4 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ace17

Reaction score
'89 had a 4L60, not a 4L60E, so the only care the computer has about the transmission is an output to the torque converter clutch. AFAIK it doesn't even take a reading from the VSS. If it's programmed any differently, I don't think it will endanger your ECM, transmission, nor engine.
Yeah considering it had the 700r4, the only control the computer would be looking to achieve would be the TCC. And yep, in his case, the VSS is located in the transfer case, so nothing wrong there. But there will be idle RPM differences, and also spark advance differences in the PROM. Not enough of a difference that it's life or death or anything like that, but I personally had to make these changes in my auto prom when I went from auto to manual to get it to run smooth.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ECM definitely checks the CTS,VSS, and TPS so it knows when to lock/unlock the TC. I can adjust what temperature,speed, and throttle position, in low/high gears here. As an example, when driving at highway speeds, the TC would lock/unlock frequently. By adjusting the "TCC Forced Lock" down below that speed, I can keep it from switching back and forth. Here's some examples...

You must be registered for see images attach

Ace17

Reaction score
The ECM definitely checks the CTS,VSS, and TPS so it knows when to lock/unlock the TC. I can adjust what temperature,speed, and throttle position, in low/high gears here. As an example, when driving at highway speeds, the TC would lock/unlock frequently. By adjusting the "TCC Forced Lock" down below that speed, I can keep it from switching back and forth. Here's some examples...

You must be registered for see images attach
Are you using the EBL tuning software as well?