700r4 Newbie Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurnacopia

Reaction score
I have a 700r4 and np241tc that is out of an 89 v1500 suburban. I had it rebuilt and was wondering a few things:

1, Best TV cable for the unit. Brand or type?
2, Will this adapt to a Rochester carb easily?
3, Best external oil cooler for 700r4?
4, Optimal oil cooler placement?

This is going into a 78 Scottsdale with a rebuilt np241 transfer case. She's a big time hybrid with a new 383 stroker. The 700r4 has a stage 2 build. I would love any advice from ya'll concerning this transmission and how NOT to screw it up. Please forgive this post if its not in the right spot...new here so I am learning. Thanks!!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 700r4 and np241tc that is out of an 89 v1500 suburban. I had it rebuilt and was wondering a few things:

1, Best TV cable for the unit. Brand or type?
2, Will this adapt to a Rochester carb easily?
3, Best external oil cooler for 700r4?
4, Optimal oil cooler placement?

This is going into a 78 Scottsdale with a rebuilt np241 transfer case. She's a big time hybrid with a new 383 stroker. The 700r4 has a stage 2 build. I would love any advice from ya'll concerning this transmission and how NOT to screw it up. Please forgive this post if its not in the right spot...new here so I am learning. Thanks!!
Lokar and Bow Tie Overdrives have plenty of TV cable and bracket options for your specific engine and carburetor (Rochester, in your case) for 700R4s. I'd start with those places...Then check out my 700R4 information thread for content related to adjusting the TV cable and performing a line pressure test to validate all adjustments were made properly.

Derale coolers are very popular and many of my customers run them in their vehicles - put it where you have maximum air flow, which may be dependent on your particular engine bay but most stick it in front of the radiator.

Kurnacopia

Reaction score
Lokar and Bow Tie Overdrives have plenty of TV cable and bracket options for your specific engine and carburetor (Rochester, in your case) for 700R4s. I'd start with those places...Then check out my 700R4 information thread for content related to adjusting the TV cable and performing a line pressure test to validate all adjustments were made properly.

Derale coolers are very popular and many of my customers run them in their vehicles - put it where you have maximum air flow, which may be dependent on your particular engine bay but most stick it in front of the radiator.
Checking out your thread now Nick...thanks so much!