Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth!!!! I love car audio, but dealing with the public every day just sucks the energy right outta me! If I have to deal with one more customer that describes the Memphis PRX sub package as "slammin", "crushin", or "swampin".... i will drive my truck into a bridge abutment at 80 mph!!!! Hahaha

No, but really ..... hopefully things will slow down a little next month (taxes are DUE in April!) and I can make some good progress. Would love to get it on the ground rolling !!!

I'd rather drive their dumb ***** into a bridge abutment than myself. F those d bags.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I know it doesn't look like much progress, but it's centered, the pinion angle set, clamped down, and awaiting to be welded!

Don't mind all the freakin leaves! I've swept them out 3 times in the last hour, but this Kansas wind keeps blowing the back in!!!! RIDICULOUS!! Haha

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I was absolutely spent when I got off work, and I was gonna just rest tonight and work on the truck tomorrow..... BUT my Mom reminded me it was Easter and I'd better have my ass at the dinner table or feel the wrath! Haha Sooo, I felt like I needed to accomplish something tonight. So, I opted for a little different work.

I pulled the dash and steering column in preperation for the roll cage. This is something I haven't built or dealt with before. IF ANYBODY WOUKLD LIKE TO CHIME IN ON THIS SUBJECT, PLEASE DO!

I am looking at buying a pre bent weld in 10 point from S&W.....

https://swracecars.com/product/1988-1997-chevy-pickup-10-point-roll-cage-cm-around-dash/

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Windshield bars have two bends."
The counter-bend in the front downlegs ("windshield bars") is crap. If you buy from them, request straight legs.

Here's a good primer:
https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/How-To-Not-Fail-Lemons-Tech_v3.5_040419.pdf

Spreader plates are a must! Otherwise it's just a show cage. As it says in the .pdf above, 24 sq in of spreader plate per tube end should be your minimum, and the kit has 6x6 spreaders, although 1/8" plate is a little on the thin side. If your target mount point isn't level, build a plinth.

If you're caging a street-driven truck, be sure and put the bars far away from your head. Your head is very squishy compared to a roll cage, and you're not going to be wearing a Snell-SA rated helmet while driving on the street.

You want your cage to fit the cab as tightly as possible. The only real way to accomplish this is to cut holes in the floor board for your main hoop and downlegs. You drop the main hoop legs through the holes you cut, mark where they go through the floor, pull it out, cut the excess off, and put it back in place with the spreader plates resting (not welded!) underneath. Get your halo bar in place, snug against the roof (account for the headliner if you're keeping it), and tack it to the main hoop. Then put your downlegs in through the holes in the floorboard. Mark and cut them, slide the spreader plates under them and tack them to your halo bar. Pull all your spreader plates so you can drop the cage down and fully weld it. Raise it back up, slide your spreader plates in place and weld them.

I've built one cage, but did a lot of study before hand, and had a professional who bent my tubes and instructed me how to install them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IF ANYBODY WOUKLD LIKE TO CHIME IN ON THIS SUBJECT, PLEASE DO!

Screw the cage, just get kicked out of the track on the first pass. :lol:

Seriously though nice work. Seeing you make constant progress on this is a reminder that I need to do something with the LQ4 sitting in my garage.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Z in the bends of those front dash bars would be a massive weak point as Erik already pointed out. I have yet to see a prebent cage worth a ****. They always seem to be made for the guy who either is only getting the cage to pass tech, not because he cares about quality or safety, or the guy who's never had a proper cage before so he doesn't quite know what makes a cage good. I doubt any of them fit as tightly as they should too in the sense that Erik pointed out either.