Riggs - My 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 CCLB work truck and family play machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got updates!

Finally time to dig in to the intake, replace some injectors and some gaskets. Uncharacteristically, I got everything done I wanted to get done today. Project timeline, on track!

Didn't park in the RV pad where I usually work on my stuff... I'm going camping 4th of July and if for whatever reason the truck was non-functional, I didn't want it blocking my trailer. But, it'll be functional!

Parked with its sibling, ready for work
You must be registered for see images attach

Getting started, pulled the A/C compressor and layed it off to the side as suggested in the Vortec 454 master thread.

Pulling the EGR tube, actually went pretty easy. I didn't have a narrow adjustable wrench, but was able to make it work no problem, other than having to tweak the dumb AIR tube out of the way. Came right off... it was covered in anti-seize, someone has been here before, and actually cared about what they were doing. Nice!

First bonehead move of the project, could not figure out these click lock fittings for the vacuum line on the evap setup, and broke the nipple off.

I think the plastic is thick enough I can drill a bigger hole and thread a barbed fitting from home depot in there, and pretend it never happened. That's my plan, otherwise I'll have to source a new canister dealy.

Upper intake off!

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Felpro upper intake gasket... yep someone's definitely been here.

Lower off. Gaskets look stock?

They are pretty crusty. Good to get these replaced, plus the front china wall or whatever its called was leaking.

You'll see how nasty Dex cool can get as it oxidizes when you see the rear coolant ports in the heads.

Gee, is this what you meant?

Last edited:

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lifters and cam...to be honest not sure what I'm looking for, but everything *seems* in good working order.

Covered with a towel while I'm off on other tasks.

Last edited:

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled the valve covers, since I'm here, and I want to paint them.

Again, everything seems good? Not sure what to check for but nothing appears out of whack.

Here's my mess, don't worry I know where everything goes.

And the moment you all didn't know you were waiting for, paint job! Doing something a little different, but seemed fun, happy how it turned out.
I really need to get a sand blaster though, in the name of time i skipped some steps in removing old media, and it shows in the final product. I don't care... but at some point I need a sand blaster so I can solve these kinds of problems.

"Prepped" for paint.

New color on

That's it for today, still need to clean up the lower intake and the gasket surfaces on the block, need to pick up a couple odds and ends and figure out my evap situation. Tomorrow being father's day I probably don't have time to touch it, and going on vacation this week, be a while before I get back to it.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking about snagging another set of valve covers and an intake from a truck in the junkyard, cleaning them up and taking them to get ceramic coated to help with heat soak. Kinda want to do something with the color but I dunno, what you're doing is definitely giving me ideas.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking about snagging another set of valve covers and an intake from a truck in the junkyard, cleaning them up and taking them to get ceramic coated to help with heat soak. Kinda want to do something with the color but I dunno, what you're doing is definitely giving me ideas.
Really going to make me want to ditch the Vortec resonator... too bad that Air Raid kit is $300, I have so many other ways to spend that for a long time.
Do have a couple other little engine bay clean up items planned, we'll see how its looking when done. I hope my color plays well with the rest of the derelict engine bay.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really going to make me want to ditch the Vortec resonator... too bad that Air Raid kit is $300, I have so many other ways to spend that for a long time.
Do have a couple other little engine bay clean up items planned, we'll see how its looking when done. I hope my color plays well with the rest of the derelict engine bay.
I wouldn't waste any money on an air intake unless it's a Volant. I ordered some silicone elbows from Silicone Intakes to experiment with both the factory air box but different tubing and building my own box.

Of course that whole time thing that's always an issue when it comes to stuff like this.