Riggs - My 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 CCLB work truck and family play machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste any money on an air intake unless it's a Volant. I ordered some silicone elbows from Silicone Intakes to experiment with both the factory air box but different tubing and building my own box.

Of course that whole time thing that's always an issue when it comes to stuff like this.
I think I meant the Volant, the only one left in the market?

I had thoughts too around what you are talking about, keep us posted if you get to it. Seems like there’s room for improvement.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I meant the Volant, the only one left in the market?

I had thoughts too around what you are talking about, keep us posted if you get to it. Seems like there’s room for improvement.
I'll get to it at some point, I've got a few other projects to knock out and a trip to plan and pay for. But as soon as I get started I'll try and do a decent amount of documentation comparing everything.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about snagging another set of valve covers and an intake from a truck in the junkyard, cleaning them up and taking them to get ceramic coated to help with heat soak.
Engine Masters did some testing with ceramic coating headers for heat control and discovered that ceramic coatings do next to nothing for heat. They're just really good for keeping your parts looking pretty.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine Masters did some testing with ceramic coating headers for heat control and discovered that ceramic coatings do next to nothing for heat. They're just really good for keeping your parts looking pretty.
I must've missed that episode, I was hoping to do something to provide a little bit of temperature control for the engine bay. There's got to be some solution out there?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I must've missed that episode, I was hoping to do something to provide a little bit of temperature control for the engine bay. There's got to be some solution out there?

Aftermarket ceramic coatings DO help with heat. The stuff header manufacturers put on doesn't hold a candle to something like a Swaintech product. They're basically paint.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if something like these exist for our trucks:

But something like that between upper/lower intake manifold *might* make a difference?

Also, header wrap.

I wouldn't hold my breath even if it went between the lower intake and heads. It's still exposed to all that radiant heat. Does anyone actually report a difference in IATs after installing one of those spacers?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must've missed that episode, I was hoping to do something to provide a little bit of temperature control for the engine bay.
Season 7, Episode 10.

Aftermarket ceramic coatings DO help with heat. The stuff header manufacturers put on doesn't hold a candle to something like a Swaintech product. They're basically paint.
I had HPC coat my Cadillac headers. It didn't help with underhood heat, but they've stayed looking good. On our race car we use header wrap, and it actually works. I don't know what Supercharged111 uses on his race car.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Season 7, Episode 10.

I had HPC coat my Cadillac headers. It didn't help with underhood heat, but they've stayed looking good. On our race car we use header wrap, and it actually works. I don't know what Supercharged111 uses on his race car.

Header wrap because I'm cheap, but I've seen the Swaintech White Lightning coating on someone else's car and it was something else. I seem to recall it went on pretty thick, wasn't shiny or sexy looking. You could touch the downpipe with the engine idling.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lower intake back on, valve covers back on, new fpr and injectors installed in the rail…

Off all week but leaving for camping Thursday… have to get the trailer ready… the boat ready… bunch of food prep to do…. Today is my sons 13th birthday and I’m doing a bunch of cooking for that.. I think I do have time but it’s creeping away from me at an alarming rate.. but how do we always cut these things so damn close??

At minimum need to get the engine back together and running good, and replace the upper ball joints before I tow again with this thing.

We’ll see how the next couple days goes, at least I have my suburban…