2000 Crew Cab Short Box with LQ9 VortecMax Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured I would start a thread here although I'm sure that many here are already familiar with this truck. Jay mentioned it in his thread in the LS swap section (https://www.gmt400.com/threads/6-0-into-2000-k2500.39892/), but I am the new owner if his 2000 CCSB. I have been looking on and off for the 1+ years and on a whim sent a message to him to see if he would ever consider selling. We struck a deal and I've been driving it around for the last week or so and I love it. It's just what I've wanted and am so glad to finally have it. There's really not a whole lot that I want to change with this truck to be honest. It is everything I've been searching for, LS swap, leather interior, Solid body and overall great condition.

My original plan was to fly down to Charlotte to pick up the truck, stay with a buddy and then drive back with my wife on a nice little road trip ~11 hour drive. Mother nature had other plans with Winter Storm Harper and Jay ended up meeting me halfway in Harrisonburg, VA so that I could beat the storm. I left at 2pm on Friday afternoon, stayed in Harrisonburg and back on the road at 5:30am. We ended up getting back to NY right around noon and the storm started dumping snow around 2pm. The road trip couldn't have been any better and it was great putting miles on the truck. It performed flawlessly and was exactly what I had expected. It's a little less refined than my previous truck (03 Silverado Z71 1500), but was what I expected with a heavier duty truck. What is most surprising to me is that the truck gets just about the same MPG's as my old truck, so that's a win.

I'm sure you have all seen this picture, but here it is

You must be registered for see images attach

And check out how clean it is on the underside!

Here we are on the NY boarder on the way home. I thought this was a pretty cool shot. He ended up throwing in a bunch of extra parts. Rust free box, Full Floater rear axle, front axle, wheels and tires, and the front spindles from an 02 2500HD.

Here it is safely at home and right before we got about 14" of snow the day we got back!

Here's a shot of the motor mount plates Jay used for those wondering about the mounts. They are ICT set back plates. He said that everything just bolted right up to the stock trans and used the stock LQ9 flywheel. Just fit together like it was meant to. He had a custom tune done by someone at LT1swap.com, and it shows up as a 2002 Silverado 2500HD when I plugged in HP Tuners. He used the stock manifolds with about 12" of the stock Y-pipe off each manifold and blended it with the stock exhaust. Very professional looking.

So the first impressions for the truck are that it rides just slightly rougher than my 03 1500 which is welcome news as I was expecting much worse. The truck is very comfortable to drive and it really does get out of it's own way with the LQ9. Just have to keep my foot out of it to get decent mileage. Things that I don't like are the brakes, I'll get more on that later, but they need an improvement. Second is that the exhaust is a louder than I like. I'm going to swap out for a Dynamax Ultra Flo X which is supposed to be much quieter muffler. It will be my DD and I can't live with that drone.

The brakes are currently stock with 11" single piston front brakes and the larger rear drums. The pedal is very stiff and does take a lot of effort to bring it to a stop. From what I understand that is normal with the GMT400 88-98 trucks, but something I want to change. Jay also included some GMT800 01-07 2500HD spindles (knuckles) with the truck which after reaming the ball joints out are a bolt on for my truck. That will update the truck in several ways, one is bigger 12" or 13" dual piston brakes, but two is that it will make servicing much easier. The GMT800 trucks have a bolt on hub/bearing assembly. So that is going to be on my list for the spring. I'm also working on a way to swap factory rear disk brakes.

He also included a box full of new balljoints upper and lower, tie rods, sway bar bushings, and a bunch of other new parts to completely rebuild the front end. He bought one brand new hub and the other hub is in good shape with no play. So really just need rotors, calipers, pads and hoses. Should be a fairly easy swap and will give a much needed increase in braking performance.

I'm stoked to have this truck and I can't wait to get some miles on it and do a few upgrades along the way. So in a weird and ironic twist, the guy that I sold my 03 truck to is actually in the process of swapping an LQ9 into a 1998 Silverado 1500. He bought a complete Escalade and wanted the drivetrain, but since he was scrapping the rest of the truck said I could have what I wanted if I pulled it off! No charge! So I found several items that I'm going to swap in the truck. First was the 01-02 Denali/Escalade DIC module. I also got a decent length of the pigtail. I already bought another module on eBay without any broken buttons. I plan to swap out the OHC with one that has the long pocket up front and put it up top.

It also had the same steering wheel as mine and came with the black buttons rather than the gray buttons. I'm debating on whether or not to run the whole steering wheel as it will match my interior decently. I'm leaning toward no though. And got the matching clock spring with a section of the connecting pigtail.

The Escalade was the platinum edition and had a leather wrapped shifter with the chrome tip and tow/haul button. This should look great!

And since I'm going to mount the DIC up top in the OHC, I thought I would lose the temperature function on my stock mirror, but the Escalade had that covered too with the Gentex 177 dual read out mirror.

He plans on converting the LQ9 over to DBC so he didn't want any of the DBW stuff so I grabbed that too. Not necessarily for this truck, but for a future project on my 1968 Camaro possibly. Here's a picture of my project car. I did a full restoration, it now has an LS6/6 speed, 12 Bolt w/ 4.11 Posi, 13.4" front disk, 12" rear disk, Dakota Digital Gauges, and a mostly stock interior. Hoping to finish up the restoration this spring and drive the wheels off it.

What I started with:

Today:

Cheers,
Ryan

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that the previous owner mentioned swapping the MC to a GMT800, but I don't think he changed the booster too.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few 350/80E equipped 2500s that came with regular vacuum brakes; I test drove two like that and look at 4 others; I think the hydroboost was more common in the 454 and 6.5 trucks.

And I do believe that this truck originally came with a 350 before Jay swapped in the 6.0;