Andy’s 1995 CCLB 7.4L TBI to Vortec Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the holidays I finally got around to building the subwoofer box and installing the amp that I got a year ago when I got the new radio. The amp went under the passenger seat. I was able to run all the wires along the door sill in the existing wire looms. I grounded the amp to the seat anchor bolt and then another from the firewall to the batter. The only hole I drilled was in the firewall just next to the opening for the antenna. All in all I'm happy with the install. This was my first time doing anything like this before. I give myself a B+ on the speak box build. It's built out of 3/4" MDF. I know the shape looks a little weird, but it's the only place (behind the rear seat) I could really find that had enough room for the 10" shallow sub and that's what it took to get the recommended enclosed volume. Unfortunately I loose easy access to storage tray, but it's a compromise I feel was worth it. I love how it completes the range of sound. You just can't seem to get those low tones out of the 4x6's in the rear or 5" rounds in the door no matter how much you spend on them. The physics are really against you.

I used this material to cover the box. It was really easy to work with and looks great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-...ive-Trunk-Liner-Underlay-48-x-78/203062117722

As you can see in the pictures below, there's still not a lot of room between the speaker and the seat. That's even with the seat pulled forward one notch on the slide and recline.

Both the amp and the sub are Power Acoustic. So far so good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, now I kinda want to throw a set of PY0s on my truck.
I always said when I got a K2500 those would be the rims I'd get, but then I realized how narrow they were, and I like my stance with the Eagle Alloys.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do 285s and add torque. I like the 285/4.10 combo on my 1500 which has a 4L80E like you.

285/75/R16s with 4.56s work out the be the same as 245/75/R16s (stock size) with 4.10s so it wouldn't really help in the torque to the ground department.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this happened...

I've been keeping my eye out for a long time for used bullet holes or PY0s. I told myself that I'd pull the trigger only if they were near perfect condition, with BFG All Terrains, Load E, 245/75/R16 or bigger, and at a fair price. Oh, and have bow ties, not GMC.

These came across FB Marketplace the other day. The guy had them on an '03 Suburban that he kept in the garage and only used as a weekend warrior. They are the nicest set I've seen in a long time. The backsides aren't perfect, but the front sides are.

Completely transforms the look of the truck in my mind. It went from the grandpa's truck look to the nice middle-aged guy's truck, lol.

Damn, those look great on your truck! I think PYOs are starting to become my most liked wheels! I picked up a set for my 00 K3500 CCLB, just have not installed them.

Is there any reason to save those rally 8 lug rims? I've never been a big fan of those...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
285/75/R16s with 4.56s work out the be the same as 245/75/R16s (stock size) with 4.10s so it wouldn't really help in the torque to the ground department.

No, that's why you breathe on the motor some to make up the difference. My dually really spins at 80mph in OD. I don't like towing that fast with it. I don't mind zinging the 1500 along 75-80 so much with the trailer, and it tolerates it because of the power I've added to it.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, that's why you breathe on the motor some to make up the difference. My dually really spins at 80mph in OD. I don't like towing that fast with it. I don't mind zinging the 1500 along 75-80 so much with the trailer, and it tolerates it because of the power I've added to it.

I'm following you now. You're saying leave the 4.10s with the 285s and make up the difference with adding torque performance to the engine. Have to find about 11% across the entire powerband to make up the difference. Maybe headers and a bus muffler would get that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm following you now. You're saying leave the 4.10s with the 285s and make up the difference with adding torque performance to the engine. Have to find about 11% across the entire powerband to make up the difference. Maybe headers and a bus muffler would get that.

That and a tune and you may find yourself ahead.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, those look great on your truck! I think PYOs are starting to become my most liked wheels! I picked up a set for my 00 K3500 CCLB, just have not installed them.

Is there any reason to save those rally 8 lug rims? I've never been a big fan of those...

Not really in my mind. I'll probably sell them off cheap. The tires have a little tread left for someone who's really hard up. If I relied on my truck more in the snow, I'd consider putting a set of snow tires on there and using them during salt season to save the PY0s.