2000 K3500 Crew Cab Long Box Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the rear brake lines all installed and bled. E brake cables installed, and the rest of the front clip installed.

Drove it around the yard for the first time today... feels good. Still have some loose ends to tidy up before it’s road worthy. Maybe it’ll be on the road this coming weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the weekend I installed new front brakes and all 4 ball-joints, front driveshaft, wired up the tailights, and got all 4 studded duratracs mounted(285’s).

Tonight I finished tidying up the wiring around the tranny. Wired up the backup lights.

For anyone going 4l80e to NV4500 the backup lights are super easy to wire up. Didn’t find anything on the forum so I thought I would post it.

Pin C pink wire goes to the blue wire on the nv4500 backup switch. Pin F goes to the light green on the NV4500 backup switch. Done and done. Works like a charm.

I just need to finish installing the rear hitch and bolting bumper on, then wire up the 7 pin connector. Interior needs a little clean, and I need to fix my overhead console wiring.

Otherwise it’s safe to say the truck is road legal and will be on the road before the weekend. Updated pics will come when it’s now so rainy outside!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the next update. This is a far cry from how it looked when you bought it.

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took it out for its first test burn last night. All was good except:

I had forgotten to tighten one hose clamp on a heater hose so it blew off and lost most of my coolant. Luckily I wasn’t too far from home.

Junkyard NV4500 shifts well and in all gears(wahoo!).

One major problem is weak power steering below 1000rpm. Also, brakes suck(go to the floor almost) if your not above 1000-1500rpm. Anything above that and it stops like it should. Bleeding the brakes has lots of fluid to all bleeders with no bubbles. AI think I got all the air out of the hydro boost system but does anyone have any pointers on bleeding it?

I had the front wheels jacked up and went manual left to right 20 times, then topped up fluid, and ran it cycling left to right until no bubbles. Still have the problem.

Maybe the old pump is just done. Any thoughts?

Also ABS light is on constantly. Fluid is good, fuse is good, both front wheel speed sensors test ok. Rear speed sensor works well from what my speedo shows. I dont have the fancy abs system scanner. Is there any way to read without the scanner?

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
New power steering pump solved the problem. Now I’ve noticed I have no cylinder #1. Have spark. Guess that means I need to double check the injector wiring. I had bench tested all the injectors before installing them so I have a hard time thinking it’s a bad injector.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New power steering pump solved the problem. Now I’ve noticed I have no cylinder #1. Have spark. Guess that means I need to double check the injector wiring. I had bench tested all the injectors before installing them so I have a hard time thinking it’s a bad injector.
For your brake issue, you may check to see if you can bleed your ABS module. May have to have a friend help out if you dont have a scanner. There is a bleeder on the back of the ABS module. Have a friend pump up the brakes, and hold, then press the bleeder. I can take pictures of it in the morning if you want. And a sudden no #1 cylinder is rough, if you're getting good spark, make sure you have good compression, and then your fuel delivery. Hope it's something simple

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For your brake issue, you may check to see if you can bleed your ABS module. May have to have a friend help out if you dont have a scanner. There is a bleeder on the back of the ABS module. Have a friend pump up the brakes, and hold, then press the bleeder. I can take pictures of it in the morning if you want. And a sudden no #1 cylinder is rough, if you're getting good spark, make sure you have good compression, and then your fuel delivery. Hope it's something simple

Thanks for the abs info! Pictures of the bleeder would be amazing. The new power steering pump solved the weak brakes at Low rpm... but I’m still living with the standard gm sponge feel. Bleeding the abs should help.

Managed to tackle the #1 misfire tonight. Had great spark, checked the plug(not wet), wasn’t getting fuel.

Pulled the injector plug and tested 12.3volts at each pink wire, which is good. Had wifey crank while I had my test light verify injector firing signal for all injectors... at this point I did not want to pull the upper intake. Ran 12v and ground to injector pins on the spider and sure enough, cylinder #1 wasn’t clicking(opening) but others were.

So I pulled the upper intake, took the injector off... verified no opening with 12 volts... smacked it a couple times with a wrench and tried again! Voila, and guess what sprayed out when I blew through it, a small spec of dirt. Must have been introduced to the system while I had it all apart.

Got it all together and runs like a dream now! Just need my black bear tune and some seat covers!

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the abs info! Pictures of the bleeder would be amazing. The new power steering pump solved the weak brakes at Low rpm... but I’m still living with the standard gm sponge feel. Bleeding the abs should help.

Managed to tackle the #1 misfire tonight. Had great spark, checked the plug(not wet), wasn’t getting fuel.

Pulled the injector plug and tested 12.3volts at each pink wire, which is good. Had wifey crank while I had my test light verify injector firing signal for all injectors... at this point I did not want to pull the upper intake. Ran 12v and ground to injector pins on the spider and sure enough, cylinder #1 wasn’t clicking(opening) but others were.

So I pulled the upper intake, took the injector off... verified no opening with 12 volts... smacked it a couple times with a wrench and tried again! Voila, and guess what sprayed out when I blew through it, a small spec of dirt. Must have been introduced to the system while I had it all apart.

Got it all together and runs like a dream now! Just need my black bear tune and some seat covers!

I'll be heading out in just a little bit and I'll snag some pictures of the abs bleeder when I go start the truck soon.
Super glad you figured out the issue! The smallest amount of dirt can cause the biggest of issues! But at least it was something easy to fix, and you didnt have to go buy a new injector!
On a side note, blackbear ECMs are quite costly, is the 411 PCM out of question due to being a BB? Or just out of ease?

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres the picture of the bleeder. It's on the outboard side of the back of the ABS module

Remove the rubber cap, and there will be a bleeder nipple with a ball bearing at the end of it. Pump up the brakes, and hold pressure, and then press the bearing and remove all air. You should get pretty close to being air free after that. If they still feel spongy, rebleed the brakes from all 4 corners

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those! I will be sure to give bleeding that a shot. Managed to get two dump runs in today and a quick wash. Didn’t take long to put it to work!

Somewhat clean pictures of the outside. Didn’t get too carried away as it it supposed to snow this week.